Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$130
$123
  • Restaurant
Treasury On Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$165
  • Breakfast included
$87
  • Bar/Lounge
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$157
  • Restaurant
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$201
$125
  • Room Service
$69
$67
  • Fitness center
Art Series - The Blackman(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$170
$126
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$137
$232
$230
$184
1,265 results
All reviewsgreat locationelizabeth stseparate toiletblock arcadeflinders stationfresh towelssmall fridgehot waterrooms are smalltram stopshort staybourke st mallearly checkpublic transportair conditionerfree tram zonecomfy bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Location is great if you don't have a car.

It is a nightmare to find a parking nearby. We were lucky enought to find a parking spot right in front of the hotel but have to move the car at 7:30am. I recommend people to park at the casino for $6 for the first 6 hours.

The room is fairly small but again - good enough for only one night stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We stayed here on our recent 3 day stay in Melbourne and only because I have stayed in Melbourne before do i know this isn't typical of Melbourne accomodation. I read another review and see their experience mirrored ours. Our room was for three but only the double bed was made up. For the bunk bed when i asked for a duvet to complete it - they said they don't give you one, just a blanket - which is very thin!
The carpet was FILTHY which was appalling, the toilet is soooo small and the non existant bathroom which leaves you stepping out of the shower box behind a curtain I never expected in a hotel.
There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, not even a glass to hold a drink of water, which was unexpected.
There were no explanations of facilities, nor even a brochure to explain Melbournes attractions.
The good points were that both the linen and bed were clean and comfortable and the shower is ?clean enough but has a good jet so at leat you can enjoy it. The girl at reception was also very helpful.
I would never recommend this hotel despite its great location. It is way overdue for a refit and thorough cleaning and was very disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank NzShazbut
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I have stayed in several Formule 1 hotels both in Australia and overseas and this was no different to any others, i.e. you get a bed for the night but not much more. On the positive side, the staff were friendly, the hotel was clean and the beds were comfortable enough to get a decent night's sleep. On the other hand, the shower was hidden only by a curtain, and anyone with claustrophobia issues would be better off using the toilets in the reception area, as the one in our room was surrounded by 4 walls which could barely contain the smaller-than-average toilet itself, let alone someone of >6ft trying to use it. Selection of tv channels was very limited (ABC and 9 were occasionally joined by 7 and 10 when they decided to work) and the only window served little purpose other than sunlight as it was a couple of feet from a dirty adjoining building and offered no view whatsoever.

Considering we booked late and there wasn't much else available, this hotel served its purpose satisfactorily, but if you get in early enough to shop around you may find something better at a similar price. Having said that, it's better than being on the street.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2010

After reading TripAdvisor reviews on this hotel, I was kind of scared to stay at the Formule 1 CBD. In fact, I was so scared that I planned an "escape and book myself into the Westin across the street for a night" scenario... it ended up not being as bad as I thought it would be, but here are my overall thoughts on the whole place.

The location is FANTASTIC! Initially, I couldn't find it because I had no idea where I was or what I was looking for... it was my first time in Melbourne. Then I saw the yellow sign on Elizabeth Street next to Subway and Laura Ashley (some landmarks you may want to look for), and because it's so close to Flinders St, it's so easy to travel around from there.

I was kind of confused about the check in, but I figured it out eventually. Enter into the hotel at GROUND LEVEL (which is street level) and go upto level 1 on the elevator. Btw, one of the elevators (which has a capacity of 5 people) looks really dodgy, but the other one which can hold 10 people is nice and has a big mirror in it :)
I booked online on the Accor website so checking in was easy. They pretty much asked me for my credit card then told that there was no smoking in the hotel...

Getting to the room was a bit of an ordeal. The hotel curves and bends in all angles, so you really have to look out for the signs which say "rooms X~Z -->" PLEASE avoid looking out the windows as soon as you step out the elevator (on the 5th floor anyway) cos all you see is old-building-with-bird-feces-all-over-it... kind of off putting.

The room was quite small, and mine had a double bed with a single bunk on top. There was also a small TV, desk, chair and radio clock. The bunk wasn't made up (which didn't bother me at all) and the bed was quite comfortable. Only problem is that it's quite creaky, and like another person wrote on their review, it's not too appropriate for activities other than sleep... Also, there was no duvet cover on the duvet. Instead, it was sandwiched between two sheets which I found rather strange...

The room came with 2 towels and some soap. The shower and sink were part of the room itself, and a small shower curtain separated the room from the bath AREA. The wooden bit in front of the shower always got soaked and really slippery, so just watch out for that. Also, the sink didn't drain properly. The toilet has a door and separate light. The shower pressure was good, and I got fully functioning hot and cold water.

Like I said before, the bed was really creaky. It's on those moving-wheel things so they tend to move around a bit too. The walls were also paper-thin, and I am pretty sure the people in the next room can hear exactly what you are doing at the precise time: toilet, shower, bed. This also means you can hear everyone going out/coming back to their rooms, and some people were quite loud in the corridors.

Check out was also easy: just drop off your card key (if you paid online). They have big lockers on level 1 where you can store luggage between check-out and leaving the city or whatever. Internet and printing services available for a fee… I didn’t use it so I can’t really comment on it. I didn’t try the breakfast either, but I believe it is $7 for a basic breakfast… microwave/hot water facilities in the breakfast area for anyone to use at anytime which was very convenient!

So 2 nights there, and I survived, so it not that bad. I guess look out for drunk people who try to get a room for a night because they can be a bit rowdy, but security guards at the door keep them all out.

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t stay there again because it’s just not my kind of hotel, but if you were looking for budget in a GREAT location, this could be the place you’re looking for!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank HA725
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We had a good stay despite reviews on this site. We called on the day of arrival and asked for a room overlooking Elizabeth Street and were rewarded with a 7th floor end room so we had two windows. The room was basic with no kettle or fridge and initially gives the appearance of once being a youth hostel. However, the shower was powerful and the mattress helped me have a great night's sleep. Our room wasn't cleaned except for the first morning but we didn't bring this up with reception at the time so unfair to comment but did think the bed would be made and fresh towels (you need them with the four seasons in one day weather!).
We chose to have breakfast as it was only $7 per person for continental. There are others around but you will pay more.
There was internet, $1 for 10 minutes and printing cost $0.20 per sheet.
I stayed here for four nights and found it very convenient. My only negative would be that I barely saw any of the staff smile whilst I was there.
Defo recommend going to Tropicana for breakfast for one day and trying their juices. Just up the road away from Flinders Station. Do the MCG tour and a wine tasting trip too.
Melbourne is lovely!