“Recommend for budget traveller only”

Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD
Ranked #115 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed May 29, 2010

The hotel is located right at the center of CBD which is accessible to everywhere. The train station is just five - ten minutes away. I walked to the franklin street where most of the car rental companies located in less than 10 minutes.
I reached the hotel around 11am+, the receptionist was kind enough for us to check in early. The check in process is smooth and efficient but the guy didn't smile much (I wasn't felt welcomed but that's okay as long as i got the room fast).
The room was very small. Basically we got a bed, bathroom (small size as well), TV and a small desk. It was good enough for us as we had enough space to put our luggage. There's a groceries shop right at the exist of the hotel. The hotel fulfilled most of our needs eg, hot water, vending machine but we needed to walk a bit to the ground floor. I planned for the trip with a minimum budget and the hotel basically fulfilled what i need.
Do not expect much because you get what you pay at this rates. The room is good enough for you to rest if you do not asking for too much. I will recommend this for budget traveller.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jubi_ltc

Reviewed May 25, 2010

This is the best inner city cheap hotel you will find. reading all these reveiws made me laugh. I dont know what some people expect, Hello - did you miss the bit about being a "2 STAR" Hotel. At $79 to $149 that I've paid here on different occaisions it is top value for you're dollar in this range of accommodation.
If you want to feel special, pay the money and stay at the Sofitel or Hyatt. Dont look for that from a 2 star budget facility. You will be disapointed and the poor bloody staff will have to put up with you're unrealistic expectations.
I stay regularly at CBD & Airport F1's. The staff are all fantastic, the rooms are clean and I get to keep most of my accommodation budget, location can not be beat, perfect for me, everything I need. Happy Travels!

Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank MyOnlineReveiws
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I stayed at the Formule 1 hotel one night with some friends for my birthday. When i went to check in the man that served me was rude. When i had called to ask if it was ok to pay on my mothers credit card they said yes but pay online so i did so. When i checked in he was asking for my mums credit card to pay the bond ($100) which i obviously did not have. So i had to pay using my debit card. The man said that if i do this i won't have my money for a week but there was no way else i could pay so i accepted. Still haven't received my bond (nothing was broken or stolen) so i gave them a call and the guy on the phone said i was ment to come to reception the morning after to receive my bond which i was not informed of this when i checked in and because it was so busy when i checked out i just left them the keys at the desk. The guy was rude to me on the phone and made it seem that it was my fault. I am extremely disappointed in the service at Formule 1 hotel melbourne CBD. To top it off a couple of my friends were out the front greeting some other friends who were not staying at the hotel, and when my friends who were staying in the hotel tried to get back to the room they were extremely rude to them and would not let them in for about half an hour even though they had a key. There was also some very loud banging in the room above us through the night which was rather frustrating. I will definitely not be staying here again. It is cheap and i guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jemmamaree89
Reviewed April 23, 2010

I have stayed here several times before. On previous occasions, I checked in after 6pm, and was given a room facing other rooms. A little dreary. The rooms facing Elizabeth Street, however, are light filled, with a pleasant view of the Block Arcade, one of the wonderful historic shopping arcades just across the street. Hot water is available on Level 1, so while there are no in room tea/coffee making facilities, you can get hot water here. The internet worked fine, the staff were pleasant, rooms clean - I couldn't fault the place. Best of all though is the location. My tip - check in during the afternoon, ask for a room facing the street and check the rates on the Accor hotel website.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank GoannaSydney
Reviewed April 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed in room 313 during the Melbourne Grand Prix. The best thing about this hotel is the location, it is excellent . The hotel it self is basic. There is no early check in so they have lockers you can hire for $5 for 12 hours. We stayed in a bunk room, the worst thing about this room and why I probably won't go back is the shower area. The shower is part of the bedroom, you have to undress, and dress in the room for the shower and if you are sharing with friends, you would want to know them well, or you soon will. The beds came with linen, but you have to make the beds yourself. The towels are thin, the room was semi clean, TV reception was poor, and the lifts were slow. It was cheap and a bed.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BonnieMax
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Conveniently located, 5 min walk from Flinders St Station. Room was clean, very simple. Quite comfortable despite a couple of incidents. On my first stay in Jan-2009 during the Australian open, at 1am, while in bed, a drunk man attempted to enter my room, banging on the door and yelling. I rang reception, and the most they did was shoo the man away. It must happen on a regular basis as on the second stay in Jan-2010 a large bunch of teen's staying on the same floor kept us awake till 3am, running around, and making a significant amount of noise. The next morning, one out of two lifts were not operating as somebody had torn off the lifts door, a lobby wall had been punched in, rubbish in the lift. Overall, an unpleasant stay, did not feel safe. Its worth spending a little extra and staying somewhere better.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank meimei2010
Reviewed January 16, 2010

Stayed here in March '07 for the Grand Prix. At that stage the hotel had just been built which would account for some of the teething problems we encountered such as the lifts not working all the time.

The twin share room was a decent size and contained a double bed with a single bunked on top against the wall. The bathroom was an unusual affair as there was only a pull-across curtain separating it from the room. Fortunately the toilet was contained in it's own room near the entrance.

The location is excellent, situated at the Flinders Station end of Elizabeth St. It was a quick walk to all the pubs and action and the trams to the GP track.

I would recommend this hotel if looking for somewhere well located and cheap.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family