I have stayed in Formule 1 hotels before in another locations. They are pretty basic hotels and the price won't hurt your pocket. In my opinion, this hotel is better than other Formule 1 hotels. As long as I have descent enough bed to sleep on, no noises to disturb my sleep and clean shower/toilet, I'm not asking for more for the price I paid. This hotel ticked all these boxes plus one big important thing - a brilliant location. If you stay in a hotel in Melbourne CBD like this, why would you spend much time in the room, anyway??!! There are plenty of shops - clothing etc. Subway is just next to the entrance, pharmacy 20m away, cafes/restaurants within a few minutes away. The train station (Flinders Street Station) is about a hundred metres away at one end of Elizabeth Street. On the same end of Elizabeth Street as the train station, there's a tram stop and 24hr Subway and McDonalds.
I stayed in January and went to Melbourne for the Australian Open (Tennis). I was very pleased to find out I could just walk along the river to Rod Laver Arena or took the tram from Elizabeth street tram stop. Federation Square is just across from Flinders Street Station and this is where you can sit on the ground with hundreds of other people to watch live tennis on a big screen. It's like having so many people in your living room.. some people really make themselves comfortable there:) It's free as it's live match on TV.
On the last day, we decided to find the cafe that we could see from the little window (our room is on the 1st floor). We ended up walking to the far end of the building and went down the seemingly quiet alley with a few restaurants in the distance. To our surprise, off that alley was a tiny street where half a dozen little cafes on both sides. I supposed, this is the magic of Melbourne..
We took the shuttel bus from/to the airport. There's no tram or train from CBD to the airport unfortunately. A bit about the room/inside - the 2 bunk beds are a bit rickety, no hangers/place to hang your clothes. The reception staffs are quite friendly and informative. I didn't use the common area as I was there only for 3 nights but there are plenty tables/chairs to have your meals, a microwave and a large common fridge. Lockers (coin operated) and I think laundry available in the building.
Next time I'm in Melbourne for a visit or the Australian Open, I would stay in this hotel again:)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- HOTEL NEWLY REFURBISHED NO CARPARK this can be booked for you, it is approx 600 meters away, please ask reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, HostelWorld, Cancelon, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Formule 1 Melbourne
- Melbourne Hotel Formule 1