“Lunch at Walter's”

Walter's Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southbank
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We had lunch at Walters Wine Bar, the views of the Yarra are spectacular. The service was excellent. We felt the food was overpriced, there are many restaurants in the precinct what offer express lunches which are better value. The food was well presented and delicious.

1  Thank Shirley K

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Despite not having a booking, the staff were happy to let us sit at the bar and were most attentive during our time there. As the restaurant cleared out, quite late, we were asked whether we wanted to eat and a table made available. The seafood entrees were tasty, however the ceasar salad was uninspiring and was mainly lettuce tipped out of the bowl on to my plate. Expensive, but probably worthwhile, as we were the last ones out of the place and still made to feel welcome at the late hour and served coffee.

1  Thank Janem0205
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had booked a few weeks ago through a Dimmi 50% off deal for a night for me and my husband to catch up after 10 days away from each other - so we wanted something a bit special. Unbeknownst to me, hubby had also contacted Walters to ask for a special bit of attention - just an icing sugar sprinkle saying "Happy Birthday Bernadette" on my dessert plate. We live locally, have eaten here before but have been surprised recently when trying to get there for weekend brunch to find it's not open, though its door signage says it opens at such times. Overheard from waiter talking to another table "we're closing down in a couple of months". So tonight, we get there for our 7pm booking. After being seated, I ensure the waiter (Paul) knows we're on a 50% deal and ask if there's any restriction to what we can order. No restriction - great! Except I can't help but wonder if the waiter's attitude seriously deteriorated from that point on. Or maybe it was after I ordered a bottle of wine, which when bought to the table, I explained was not the vintage on the wine list (a bug-bear of mine which I wish restaurateurs and sommeliers would attend to - if you don't have, the vintage, don't list the vintage). Given the A3 menu is a place-mat divided into 3 columns of which 2 columns are drinks, clearly this place is positioning itself as a winebar, not a restaurant. Nonetheless, the food is really top notch. It takes some time for our orders to be taken, I feel we've been penalised for my wine pickiness issue - but once served, the dishes are great. A range of choices for each course: a dozen share or entree sizes; 8 mains; 6 desserts and various sides, sweet & savoury nibblies at either end. But not cheap - average main meal is $40. Jurassic quail+risotto was good but couldn't find the alleged truffle oil; porterhouse was a good piece well served but nothing startling. Desserts were large and tried hard, but the apricot souffle lacked apricot 'punch' and was very egg-y, the chocolate & cherry ice-cream bombe was exactly that, a big "jerry's icecream" plate. I'm not a big fan of waiters pouring sauces on my food, but so be it. Oh - and despite my husband's best intentions, there was no "birthday" wishes on my dessert plate. And he tried so hard to make sure we ordered dessert, which we rarely do, to bring off this surprise. So thanks to your incompetence and Paul's smarmy attitude throughout the evening, you get a bad score. If you come back after your "whispered shutdown", do better with your staff recruitment.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Walter's is an institution - from its early days in the suburbs, to Southgate in the early 90's.

So with friends in from Hong Kong, Walter's was our 'catch-up dinner'.

The waitress commenced telling us the specials whilst we were seating ourselves. We explained we wanted to order wines first, but to be truthful, there was actually little to entice us. Yes, I know it's a wine bar, but check out the wine list (and note, the website wine list is not the same wine list at the restaurant).

The waitress actually grew on us during the night and was appropriately attentive (not too much, not too little - which was great).

Some of the food surprised us on the upside - better than explained or outlined in the menu. We had the barramundi, Wagyu beef burger, lamb shoulder and the quail - some good, some average. The beef burger was good but big and messy, the quail not so tasty and the lamb shoulder was tasty but the best part of the meal was the yummy tabouleh!!

Yes, there is outdoor seating, but you have to specifically order it.

Overall a 'nice' night, but we all agreed that for the price ($120 per head food and wine, no dessert), we've all experienced better.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

the service here was average and the menu was not very inspiring hopefully it has changed since my visit but i did not feel invited to return.