“the best breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Syracuse

Syracuse
Reserve with
Syracuse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #307 of 4,055 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: European, Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Syracuse offers European-inspired cuisine in a grand and impressive 19th Century atmosphere, located in one of Melbourne’s picturesque, laneways; Bank Place.Syracuse’s menu is produce driven cuisine at its best; meals are prepared using seasonal, Victorian sourced produce delivered fresh daily. Syracuse boasts an extensive list of some 500 wines; featuring wines prominently from Australia and a large variety of internationals from France, Italy and the United States of America.
Townsville, Australia
“the best breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

My son took me here for a brunch recently. Tucked away in a side street I certainly didn't expect this! Elegant, quiet and with great staff. I'd breakfasted the previous day 'elsewhere' and wasn't impressed. Syracuse was at the opposite - and top - end of the equation. Perfectly poached eggs - divine mushrooms and a coffee that screamed best in Melbourne, and all VERY reasonably priced. My only complaint? I'm now at the opposite end of the country. My son on the other hand fully intends returning to check out the lunch and dinner menus. Congratulations

• Visited November 2012

Newcastle, Australia
“Wow, that wasn't expected!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

A work function of around 16 people saw me dining at Syracuse, chosen largely on the basis of its location and the menu being within the corporate budget which are not necessarily the primers of high expectations. As it turned out, I would happily return for a more intimate dining experience, so good was the food, the wine and the service.

The cuisine is somewhat hard to pigeonhole, probably best ascribed to that broad church of "modern European". Grazing our way through the banquet menu, the starter dishes were creative, flavoursome and well presented with many at our table getting to experience food that they would never have chosen al-a-cart (English Breakfast tea smoked boiled egg; slow roasted Kent pumpkin). The meat dishes and accompaniments were somewhat less special (lamb cutlets; meat balls; pork belly) but none-the-less flavoursome and impeccably cooked. The spacing of the courses was spot-on.

The quality of the food was well matched by an extensive, global wine list. The waiter offered 2 modestly priced wines beyond those listed and both proved to be excellent wines befitting the food.

All up, a very enjoyable evening - great food and wine punctuated by excellent service

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Alan G
Sunbury, Australia
“Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Let me start by saying, I love this restaurant - for a foodie like me, Syracuse is heavenly.

The menu is seasonal, and that suits me down to the ground, I love the fact that they update their menu to suit what produce is at its peak. The menu may be limited, but it's definitely diverse. I went with a small group and we ordered multiple plates which were served to us one at a time, family style - what an experience! No plate envy for me (for once). And the cheese! Oh the cheese (can you tell I'm gushing?). Every week they do something different - we had a soft cheese (poss a brie), slow roasted in a port reduction with a roasted garlic clove in the centre - divine. I still dream of that cheese.

The wine list - prepare to be amazed. Whereas the food menu is shorter, they have not taken the same approach to their wine list. It is extensive. As well as their printed menu, they also have a chalkboard list of wines. Trust your waiter! If you don't know your wines, describe what you like and they will recommend you something fabulous - and no, they don't try to sell you the most expensive bottle - they genuinely seem to care about serving you something you would enjoy.

The staff. Genuinely knowledgeable, and GREAT service. I can not find a fault with them. The sections are not huge, so the staff can really take care of you without seeming intrusive. To the point where they take your coats and hang them for you, rather than you hanging them off the back of your chair. It's the simple things that make a difference. You can tell Syracuse make service a priority, and on my end, it was very much appreciated.

The restaurant itself is based in an older 1920's style building, and rather than being cramped, it feels intimate. Depending on where you sit, you can have a decent view of the kitchen and enjoy the delectable scents that emerge from there.

Price wise, I feel for what you get, it is fairly inexpensive - I personally would have paid a lot more for meals and wine we had, so when we received the bill I was pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong, it's not cheap, but you don't feel cheated at the end of the evening.

This restaurant is all class, if you are looking for a memorable evening, from the food and wine, to the ambience - you don't need to look any further. Syracuse has delivered one of the best dining experiences of my life - in that environment, even Hitler would have seemed like a decent dinner companion. Who knows, after a night out there with him, we may have even been friends.

• Visited August 2012
Kingston, Canada
“Versatile Spot in the CBD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I ended up going to Syracuse twice in a row in late September, and greatly enjoyed two very different experiences. The first night was a small group, ordered off the short but highly varied menu, and picked a great wine from the extensive and varied wine list. Excellent suggestions by the table staff and the host. The second night was a large group and we were treated to the "taste" menu. This is highly recommended to anyone who needs a cool place to eat for a large group of people in the CBD.

• Visited September 2012
Geelong, Australia
“Elegance and Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Situated down one of the lane ways that is typical of Melbourne, is this elegant restaurant with an old world feel. The building itself has a beautifully restored interior, one could feel as though they have stepped into 1920s. We were recommended this place as a breakfast destination that provided a nice atmosphere that served the traditional breakfasts, quiet and away from the hustle and bustle. The coffee was great, the breakfasts were great, the service was excellent, the waitress was very friendly and helpful. We ordered something slightly different from the menu for my son and it was no problem. I'd love to return to this restaurant for dinner, they have a huge selection of wine.

• Visited September 2012