New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of MoVida

MoVida
Ranked #12 of 3,779 Restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: When we opened the doors to MoVida in Hosier lane, Melbourne in 2003 no one knew what to expect. Here was this little bar on a graffiti covered cobbled lane near the cathedral serving Spanish tapas and shared plates in a down lit room playing funky tunes. It's the kind of place you can come in for a beer and a jamon croquetta at the bar and then move across to a table and share a plate of slow braised lamb, some patatas a lo pobre and down some seriously good Spanish red wine.
Melbourne, Australia
“So so good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I can't believe I hadn't been here yet.
We say at the bar and had possibly the most helpful waiter I've ever experienced. He knew the dishes inside out and explained each one with enthusiasm that made me want every dish! Yes, Movida can be pricey but the food is brilliant! I strongly recommend the prawn croquette and crispy pork on the tapas menu. They were to die for!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Auckland
“A taste tsunami”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

What a place, the great tastes start and just keep coming until you waive the white flag. Some great wines to match also.

Note: there are two restaurants connected to each other, the main restaurant and the front tapas place which is walk up. Both are exquisite.

1 Thank slamminsam
Karon, Thailand
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Food is exquisite - should order 4 tapas and one or two mains to share. The service is great - the waiters were very friendly and advised us of how it worked and recommended some excellent dishes.

Sydney, Australia
“Welcoming for a solo diner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was my third visit to Movida over 18 months. I've dined with one or two on my other visits. Today I walked in off the street around 5.30 and had no troubles getting a seat t the bar. The staff were able to recommend a good wine and I had two favourites (anchovy with tomato sorbet and chicken escabache) and a special of the day from the tapas menu (cigarillo of braised lamb with artichoke purée). I then had one of the larger dishes, a lamb loin with Moroccan spices which just melted in your mouth. I felt quite comfortable dining solo and know there were other single diners there too. By the time I left about 6.45 there were still plenty of tables available - maybe the trick is to dine early!

Perth
“Great food: Kid friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I took my two kids (8 and 10) with some trepidation fearing Movida may not have anything for them or that they may not have been welcomed on a busy Thursday night. I couldn't have been more wrong!
The menu is wide and caters for different tastes. Beef cheeks are to die for. Potato bombs are delicious. Extensive interesting wine list. And everything leads to the famous churros. Our waiter noticed that my kids had breathed in their churros without finishing their chocolate sauce. He simply asked how many more they wanted and swiftly provided them. Great night, will visit again

• Visited July 2013