“Too Yum”

Ranked #17 of 4,023 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Spanish, International
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: When we opened the doors to MoVida in Hosier lane, Melbourne in 2003 no one knew what to expect. Here was this little bar on a graffiti covered cobbled lane near the cathedral serving Spanish tapas and shared plates in a down lit room playing funky tunes. It's the kind of place you can come in for a beer and a jamon croquetta at the bar and then move across to a table and share a plate of slow braised lamb, some patatas a lo pobre and down some seriously good Spanish red wine.
Melbourne, Australia
“Too Yum”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Had the best table in the house...a cosy, tucked away booth, perfect for the freezing night in Melbourne.

The food was great, really clever concepts and plating - the mackerel wowed our table and the lamb neck just disappeared on our tongues. The quality of seafood was fantastic. Be wary that portions are quite small but that makes you inclined to order nearly everything on the menu, which is great to get a taste of it all.

In terms of service, we felt that they could have provided more of an explanation of how the menu was designed and meant to be eaten as it was our first time at the hyped up venue. We felt that the specials were barely memorised by the waitress and she wasn't much help in determining whether we had ordered enough (which we hadn't).

Overall a really fun and lively place with food that was clever and truly delicious.

Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Canberra, Australia
“A disappointment”
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Went there last monday night - because we were six we had to have chef's choice. It was like there were two chefs - the first three courses were well presented and tasty - sardines, blood sausage and Mackeral. Unfortunately the last part of the meal, beef cheeks (I think) and field mushrooms lacked in presentation and finesse. I also thought that a dessert might have been included in the chef's choice of menu but this was not to be. I have been there twice - the first time it was memorable - this time it definitely was not - there are far too many good restaurants in Melbourne for me to bother going there again.

• Visited June 2013
Australian Finn
“Believe the hype”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were spoiled rotten in the best possible way of course! Thought we might be in for a pretentious culinary journey but we were happily impressed course after course. Everything was delicious. You need to dive in and order, don't hold back -I don't care if you normally eat anchovies these really are something different and kick start your palette TRY THEM! The steak tartare and the beef cheeks were highlights and I'd go back for them any time if I could. The staff are busy but very attentive. Loved their sangria so much I was inspired to buy the ingredients and make it myself. It was happy times with the family. Highly recommended, expensive but worth it.

• Visited January 2013
Brisbane
“Authentic ?”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The food that is served at MoVida is absolutely delicious, of that there is no doubt.

The Question I have is .......... How authentic is Spanish Tapas in Australia?

I have eaten Tapas in Spain, alongside the locals, and apart from 2 or 3 of the usual suspects, ie patatas bravas etc. I see no similarity to the Spanish offerings at all !

In fact, the use of the word TAPAS within the Australian dining industry is so misused it is unbelievable !! ........ Indian TAPAS, Thai TAPAS, Italian TAPAS, ...... No such thing !!

Tapas, a small snack in Spanish cuisine. just large enough to cover your glass, which was their original intention.

So no matter how delectable the dishes of MoVida are, and yes I enjoyed everything I ate here,
I do wonder at their spanish originality.

Would I recommend MoVida ........... Hell yes!
Would it survive in Spain ............ Somehow, I don't think so.

• Visited June 2013
Sydney, Australia
“The best food experience in Melbourne”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is the best tapas I have ever eaten, I have spent months in Spain and Portugal on business but never had food as good as this If you are a Foodie you must visit this venue.

Visited June 2013