“Barca meets Melbourne.”

Ranked #35 of 4,388 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Spanish, International
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: When we opened the doors to MoVida in Hosier lane, Melbourne in 2003 no one knew what to expect. Here was this little bar on a graffiti covered cobbled lane near the cathedral serving Spanish tapas and shared plates in a down lit room playing funky tunes. It's the kind of place you can come in for a beer and a jamon croquetta at the bar and then move across to a table and share a plate of slow braised lamb, some patatas a lo pobre and down some seriously good Spanish red wine.
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Frank and his crew provide a wonderful espanol experience with the best ingredients producing superb eating experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,434)

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I first heard about Movida 2 years ago but never managed to dine there since my trip plans were often too rushed to make reservations. This time round we were in Melbourne CBD on a Sunday afternoon and on a lark I decided to stop by Movida about 1pm to inquire about a table. The place was about 90% full but as we were only a couple they found a table for us.

We had the Bacalao (this was tasty but just a very small ball), Setas Asadas (roasted portobello mushrooms, very nice), Carrillera (very tender and flavorful beef cheeck) and Chilindron (slow cooked lamb neck that was also fabulous). For the 2 of us these four items kept us just about full; I reckon we could have ordered one more item. As you can tell, serving sizes are small-ish but high quality (with matching price).

Looking at other tables I noticed a few ordering the roast pheasant breast and the braised seafood. Anyway, I will definitely be back again to try their other items.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I hate to be the lone dissenter here, but I really don't get this place.
(I feel like the kid in "The Emperor's New Clothes" crying "He's naked!"

We read the rave reviews and knocked ourselves out to get a booking.
It was packed with customers and looks very cool inside and out. (Love the graffiti on Hosier Lane)

Our waiter seemed sort of distracted and didn't have the patience to answer our questions.
If we had followed his suggestions, we would have ordered way too much food and spent WAY too much money.
The menu is just bizarre. We stared at it for a long time trying to figure out what to order. Choices were limited, prices very high. Admittedly, we do not eat red meat, so that narrowed down the choices right off the bat.
In the end we took a chance and ordered a variety of things to share.
Some of it was truly awful.

ie:
CABALLA AHUMADO $6.00 each (microscopic portion)
House Cold Smoked Spanish Mackerel with Pine Nut Gazpacho Sorbet
Ugh. I tasted the pine nut sorbet for hours later. Nasty.

Reminded me of a favorite quote from Annie Hall:
"Boy, the food at this place is really terrible."
"Yeah, I know; and such small portions.

PATÉ DE PATO $15.00
Duck Liver Parfait with Pedro Ximenez Foam and Toasted Brioche

eh.
I can't even remember what else. The four of us felt a little sick after that meal, honestly.

All I can say is, I do not get the hype over this place.
Maybe we ordered the wrong things or went on an off night, but I will not be recommending MoVida to anyone. There are too many incredible restaurants in Melbourne, to waste money and time at this one.
Really the only disappointing meal we had in 2 weeks of traveling around incredible Australia.
A shame.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Heard this was an amazing place to visit if in Melbourne. Visited here with friends, we didn't have a booking as we were tourists & didn't know. It was our lucky day, they had just received a cancellation. The staff were excellent, knowledgable & attentive. This was my first time at a tapas bar & what a great place to enjoy it for 1st time, the food was delicious, we shared a jug of Sangria as well. Just a warning if you haven't been to one before it is expensive but for this experience was worth it & we did leave having no room for dessert.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Possibly a little expensive (we had two tapas and a jambon plate, two beers and a glass of vino = $100) but excellent quality food. Not entirely traditional - a bit of fusion to make it interesting. A great atmosphere and the staff were excellent - very happy to explain the food (and not just recommend everything, but actually listened to what we were keen on and recommended accordingly).