“Terrific tapas”

Ranked #19 of 4,219 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Spanish, International
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: When we opened the doors to MoVida in Hosier lane, Melbourne in 2003 no one knew what to expect. Here was this little bar on a graffiti covered cobbled lane near the cathedral serving Spanish tapas and shared plates in a down lit room playing funky tunes. It's the kind of place you can come in for a beer and a jamon croquetta at the bar and then move across to a table and share a plate of slow braised lamb, some patatas a lo pobre and down some seriously good Spanish red wine.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I went to MoVida today for lunch with family. We sat out in the courtyard, under a sun umbrella on a glorious Melbourne day. My brother was offered a very stylish hat to cover his head as his seat was in full sun. The waiter was friendly, knowledgeable, professional and helpful, recommending wihich of the delicious menu selections to try. We started with tapas, including anchovy on a crisp base with a lovely sorbet, Bomba - potato in breadcrumbs with a chorizo centre, lamb cutlet with a pork pate and herb sauce, very tender salt and peppper calamari on a rustic roll with a home style mayonnaise, and a potato and carmelised onion tortilla. So tasty, and single serve sizes so you could try more than one without ruining your appetite for a main. Tapas varied between $4.50 - $9. Mains we had at our table included a beef cheek in a sherry sauce with mashed vegetable, a baby beet salad with fromage (cheese), the best scallops I've ever had with cured meat slices and roasted cauliflower, and more tapas for those who loved it too much to order mains. If you go, you must have a mojito or two. This restaurant probably would cater for children, but it has a more adult feel and I think children would seem out of place here. there were none the day I went, but it was a weekday / schoolday.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Attentive friendly knowledable staff
Wonderful range of great flavours in small & medium dishes
Great for sharing - in fact a must
Wine prices fair

1  Thank Ben V
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We popped in early on a Friday night, around 5:30pm and were really pleased to get a table. Nice atmosphere with a mix of locals and tourists, the staff were attentive and professional.
The food was absolutely delicious. I would recommend the Raciones (larger servings) over the tapas, they seemed to be much better value ie $4-5 for a one bite tapas albeit exquisite vs $15 for a large portion that three of us were happy to get a reasonable serving from. We ordered three Raciones for the three of us plus three tapas and were happy with this. I had the mixed seafood grill and it was the best seafood I have ever eaten, perfect in every way.
The beef cheek with cauliflower purée was also delectable.
We could happily have eaten here every night of our Melbourne holiday. This food is expensive but top quality and delicious.
Our waiter stopped in the middle of his busy service to write down instructions for how to get to IKEA by tram, we really appreciated him taking the time to help us. Typical of the friendly, helpful wait staff who are real professionals.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Booked a few weeks in advance for a table at Movida. Presentation and quality of food was excellent - I have to say attention to detail is key at this restaurant. However, a little disappointed in the serving sizes. I've been to Movida Acqui which is definitely better value. I do think that it is a must visit to try at least once in Melbourne. Atmosphere was cozy and warm which is a good thing in winter!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Had such a great time here that we ended being the very last to leave. The food was delectable. So many varieties to choose from, but the tapas share plates is the way to go. We ordered a bottle of wine that they waiter had suggested and were impressed. I have been back a couple of times since and highly recommend it.