“I eat out a fair bit, but this restaraunt started it all for me.”

Movida Bar De Tapas
Ranked #15 of 4,059 Restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: When we opened the doors to MoVida in Hosier lane, Melbourne in 2003 no one knew what to expect. Here was this little bar on a graffiti covered cobbled lane near the cathedral serving Spanish tapas and shared plates in a down lit room playing funky tunes. It's the kind of place you can come in for a beer and a jamon croquetta at the bar and then move across to a table and share a plate of slow braised lamb, some patatas a lo pobre and down some seriously good Spanish red wine.
Melbourne, Australia
“I eat out a fair bit, but this restaraunt started it all for me.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I shouted (paid for) my sister here as a special treat once before seeing Placido Domingo in concert . We both have the food gene in us. We were wowed when we first went it. It felt like something you would expect to walk into on Barcelona. Instant energy when you walk in yet warm and inviting. Small tables, warm wooden decor and nick knacks on the wall, waiters ducking adeptly between tables, carrying morsels of pure flavour. You can tell f love this place so does my sister, Jenny. This place really makes me love my home town of Melbourne. I really don't want you to go...how will I get a table?

Visited April 2012

• Korean first
“Great service, tiny portions.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

First visit to MoVida, was impressed by the fast and efficient service by our waiter who explained the menu well.
Tried four of the smaller plates including summer soup (could easily be mistaken for a tablespoon of salad dressing). Other three were better and quite imaginative, tiny portions nonetheless.
We then shared the seafood pasta which was a standout, though overpriced at $25 for an entree portion.
Would recommend MoVida for the overall experience, and photo opportunities in the funky lane way.

Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent service and food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had a lovely waiter who looked really after us. This was my first visit to Movida and I was impressed. Not so much with the decor, but everything else was spot on. Would definitely visit again!

Visited January 2013
Aus
“An experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Very tasty food that is presented beautifully. Thankfully my son ordered and explained the dishes otherwise we would have been lost! This is because it is one of his favourite restaurants in Melb. Wait staff were knowledgable about winw and I had an awesome Spanish rose that slid down my throat way too quickly and complimented each dish at our table. Bit of a shame to have to leave by 8 as dinner is in two sittings.

Groningen, Netherlands
“Worth every penny”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Fantastic food: imaginative and creative with excellent robust flavours and high quality ingredients. Excellent wine to accompany. We sat at the bar and had one of the best meals of our holiday - actually one of our best meals ever.

• Visited December 2012