“Creative atmospheric”

Money Order Office MOO
Ranked #2,672 of 4,059 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central Business District
“Creative atmospheric”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Service & food very good. Loved the the sardines & the slow cooked duck. Diverse wine list, well chosen including older wines. Price & range to suit most needs

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Vacenthusiast

“2 nights in a row means I like it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Stumbled on this place while traveling on my own. Was intimidated at first but definately intreagued by the mysterious stairwell that lead off the dark alley to what I was told was the restaurant.

Inside the Adams Family like automatic giant gate-door I was really surprised to find a homely feeling joint; exactly what I was looking for.

I was again surprised to see the menu full of interesting options, at great prices. Even more surprised when the food came out. Portions were right, and clearly someone spent time thinking about how to make the food beautiful in terms of taste and presentation.

I had a great wine to accompany the meal, and my usual lonely travel dinner was no where to be seen, only a really great experience.

Thanks OOM.

Looking forward to my next trip to Melboune.

1 Thank Lonelybusiness
Melbourne, Australia
“Hard to find, but worth it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

MOO is a little gem, tucked away in a laneway in the Melbourne CBD. The building is historic, and the restaurant space is warm and inviting, in the basement. The booths are great for either a business dinner or a quiet meal with friends.

The menu has changed since my previous visit, and now is a tapas style menu, with very good quality dishes. The wine list is also very good, with Spanish and local wines featuring at reasonable prices. The staff and welcoming and knowledgable.

Take the time to find this restaurant. It's worth it.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Burgy23
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“MOOve over Movida”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

MOO on a Saturday night for the first time .... Great shared food at modest prices. Busy but relaxed with great service and some good beers on tap ..... or choose from the wine list which is huge.
The four of us shared dishes and were happy with about $45 per head excluding drinks (which flowed easily).
All the usual tapas faves are there with some surprises .... like the tempura monk fish with nori. Lemon squeeze and green tea salt saw us ordering more. Desserts are only $9 and more adult in style ..... refreshing and accessible.
I recommend for great, casual dining ...... but better to book.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Go4Food
Bendigo, Australia
“OK place, but won't be back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

We picked the Money Order Office from the Good Food Guide to try somewhere different. The description of the location and atmosphere, the leather chairs and club like ambience interested our group so we headed on down.

The food was probably value for money but far from exciting and the wine list was one of those with far too much on it (including in my view some things that had passed their best by and could be culled off).

We were a group of four so we had the opportunity to share quite a number of things but very few made us want to have more of it or to go back again. Our waitress was absolutely brilliant, and worth twice whatever she was paid for her knowledge, skill and advice but unless she buys the place or does a crash course in the kitchen she can’t change our view of the place as a whole.

A final thought – what is it with Melbourne restaurants and their eclectic music choices. Music is mood or background for me with food and we were treated to everything from Stevie Wonder to Benny Goodman and it truly did my head in. It wasn’t quite as bad as another place last month which went from the Gypsy Kings to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Taxi but it’s really all that has stayed in my head.

• Visited March 2012