“after work drinks”

Ranked #236 of 4,179 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Mitre Tavern is one of the first (if not the first) pub/tavern in Melbourne. It is popular with the law set for after work beers so there are always some nice suits around ladies! Can be difficult to get a table after 5pm but everyone is happy to stand in the alley and watch the passing parade.

1  Thank ejay74

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Love this place always have and always will.... tucked away but such a great place for drinks anytime but really great on a Friday night

1  Thank happyflower62
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My last night in Melbourn March 23, 2013, I wanted to have a good meal. Our hotel recommended we look at the Mitre Steakhouse/Tavern and we are so glad that we did. They have an outside serving area and a ground floor "tavern food" area and a steakhouse restaurant upstairs.
From the very beginning, the service was EXCELLENT. We ordered a bottle of wine, which was wonderful and steak dinners with vegetables and a fresh salad. All the food was absolutely delicious. The steak was cooked to perfection, and exactly to the way I requested.
I was so impressed with this restaurant, I was sorry it was my last meal that I could have there. Looking forward to having a meal with them again, when i return to Melbourne.

2  Thank Tad1950
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Food is terrible, duty manager was rude. We ordered chicken sandwich, and guinness pie. The sandwich only had a piece of bread on the bottom, chicken was dry, and looked terrible. The guinness pie puff pastry was black and burnt and should have not left the kitchen, and the mash potato was cold. We sent our food back and asked for a refund and the duty manager who could hardly speak any English refused and was rude until the nice manager of the upstairs restaurant stepped in and advised the duty manager to refund our money.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have been drinking at the Mitre Hotel for years when visiting Melbourne and this was the first time i have eaten at the restaurant on the top floor - not pub level. We had a table for 4. There is a terrific choice of entrees and in particular - steaks! Also heaps of other options for non-steak eaters. Great side choices too. The wine list was excellent. I enjoyed the "surf and turf". Quality beef and large king prawns in a garlic cream sauce. I topped it off with onion rings, beans, cauliflower and chips for sides. Main and sides were all delicious!! A lovely Shiraz to wash it down. All other diners enjoyed theirs as well. The service was exceptional - very friendly and good ability to share a joke and have fun. I hope I don't wait this long to come back.

1  Thank Troyjo