“Modern Chinese in Docklands.............”
Review of Man Mo

Man Mo
Ranked #1,095 of 4,330 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Chinese, Malaysian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Docklands
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We arrived at the restraint not particularly hungry just wanting crispy duck pancakes..... Unfortunately they were not on the menu outside the banquet, however the staff accommodated our desire and served them stand alone. The duck was all meat, no skin and bones to pick your way through and a sheer delight to eat. In fact the waiting staff actually made the pancakes within sight keeping the food warm and delivered them to the table as you were ready. The maitre d’ was entertaining and gave us a hard time about Manchester United which we thought was rich given it was grand final weekend in Melbourne for the AFL !!! Make sure you visit this establishment.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We lunched here on a quiet Saturday. The service was good and attentive. As there were three of us we asked for 1.5 serves of the black peppercorn prawns which was okay with one waiter it not the other so needed to order two serves. Both were presented to us then taken away to be apportioned.
The Peking duck pancakes were generous in the portion of duck in each, the duck component was bought out for our approval before the pancakes were assembled.
The Szichuan eye fillet beef with chilli and Sichuan pepper was tender and succulent and the blood orang duck was delicate and delightful. Generous servings.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

For this review I think its only fair, to give you the reader some background. When I say the restaurant Man Mo offers a true taste of Hong Kong I say it with some confidence. You see I lived in HK for 14 years. Im as anglo saxon as you can get, but I was lucky enough to work in Hong Kong. I met my now ex husband there. Even my daughter was born there. I loved living there. It is a vibrant, challenging city but once you've been there a while, you get the hang of it and then its an adventure. Eating out in Hong Kong can be an adventure too, if you don't know where to go. Luckily I do and Man Mo would sit well amongst any of the finer dining experiences on offer in Hong Kong.
The maitre de is charmingly attentive, remembering my daughters name and catering to her with a friendly ease. His strong Australian accent and pleasant Chinese features are a reminder that Australia is a genuine melting pot of cultures and one of the reasons I returned.
Man Mo is truly Cantonese. What has been described as bland, is called delicate by others. And I have never ever seen a white sauce in Cantonese cooking. Perhaps just an error of accuracy by someone perhaps more accustomed to their meals in a box purchased at the drive thru.
My recent meal at Man Mo, was as always, delicious. My daughter begged the Peking duck to begin with and it was presented with due ceremony. My only complaint was not enough of the smoky, rich plum sauce which holds it all together in its succulent little pancake wrapper. We followed this with the salt and pepper calamari, which was deep fried but without a hint of oiliness. The finely chopped chili giving it an occasional burst of fire. The fresh market vegetables were lightly sautéed in a wok and had a lightest glaze of slightly thicken chicken stock. A wonderful meal in a relaxed and peaceful setting. Not as much noise as your average Hong Kong eatery but then Man Mo isn't average.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

A wondefull place to take visitors to as you know they will not be dissapointed . Some of the best food i have ever tasted .Absolutley superb !

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have been eating at Man Mo for 8 years, either through travel to Melbourne, or more recently settling here. Docklands really has some hits and misses. Most of the restaurants have transient staff, except for perhaps Medici and Renzo's and Bhoj. Only once in those 8 years have I been mildly disappointed with my meal at Man Mo, which was on an incredibly busy night.

The food is westernised, but delicious and not gooey. I generally like to have multiple entrees as some of those are delicious. Either scallop entree are wonderful, the garlic beef is almost the size of a main. Szechuan beef and crispy king george whiting are stand out mains.

The wine list is also quite good and not overly pricey. Any of the whites are fine. Service has always been fantastic.

1  Thank ShaneWylie