“RUDE, OVERATED, POOR QUALITY”

Lemongrass Thai Royal Cuisine
Ranked #554 of 4,295 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lygon Street
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were recommended to dine here "winner 7 times in a row"
WHAT A JOKE!!

Our experience was nothing short of APPALLING. The food was not to any high standard and the service was non existent
We went to celebrate, and we were seated promptly (as we had a booking) the "man" grunted something about do they have a booking as we were seated within hearing of us.

After siting there for over 10 minutes with no service or water offered, we called a waitress over to order and ask for water
The water arrived luke warm, we asked for Ice and the two glasses were taken and we were left again with nothing. SO we waited the Entree was served missing a few components sauces Prawn crackers etc, which we had to ask for, the peanut sauce arrived colder than our water which was unusual?.

We Ordered PAD THAI basic dish right?? .... * W*R*O*N*G* we wanted to order a very popular dish Pad sea eue but were told they were UNABLE to make it as they did not have the recipe?? seems odd that Thai restaurant needs recipe Geez... anyway the PAD THAI came with 2 prawns and 2 pieces of chicken the size of a 10 cent piece, the noodles were gluggy over cooked slimy, and the flavor left a lot to be desired !!!! after a few spoon fulls i decided to call the waitress reluctantly as we were getting disappointed in this meal, as time went on. She apologized and told us they were busy and thats why the food was so poor? WTF
ok, She said she would tell the owner, after some time the owner approached our table he did not attempt to ask us the issue rather chose to start yelling and abusing us at the top of his voice saying that we called his food DISGUSTING?? WTF we both sat there in SHOCK he went on and on threw all our plates in a pile took the food and left us sitting there. We decided to leave realizing he was not interested in addressing the issue "customer service was ZERO"

I approached his cash register armed with all our platinum Amex cards and many other exclusive cards trying to explain that the money was not the issue, NOW neither was the food, it was his bad attitude that was the problem. I calmly tried to reason with this crazy man Micheal Mao but to no avail he was still ranting and raving and abusive, I gave him $100 cash for the meal, and told him we had travelled the world and never been treated like this before, he took our money for a while, I then said he was a very rude man, and he had ruined our night (which he had) he threw the money at us and I told him he needs to address the issues at the restaurant as we left.

The man behind me went to pay and I heard him say he had waited to long and wanted to pay and leave.......
THIS PLACE WAS HORRIBLE FROM START TO FINISH DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE

They do not even have Thai people making the food.... (we were told later) hence the recipe requirements and not able to make the most basic Thai dish "Pad sea eue"

WHAT A JOKE this so called award is. Did he grant the award to himself Geez

Insanely rude

1  Thank godutchSyd

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The food and service at this restaurant is fantastic. The owner / manager is great and makes sure you leave 100% happy. I have tried many Thai restaurants in Melbourne and this is still the best.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I came to this restaurant about 13 years ago. The menu has been changed time to time, but the quality of the dishes is always the same - "EXCELLENT". I have been many many many Thai restaurants in Europe and Japan. But I think this is the best Thai Restaurant ever.
The style of the foods over there is completely different from regular Thai foods.
When I went there first time, I was surprised with the foods and dishes I never seen them before.
They are not so called "Thai dishes". They are very elegant, enriched flavor and dynamic mixtures of fresh food materials and Thai chef's art work.

Once you experience this surprise of the dishes over there, you never forget them and can't go any other Thai restaurant.

1  Thank Aki_Orimoto
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Something seems to have changed - the service was not as attentive , the portion sizes much smaller... The food you get is still great but not enough of it.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

So when we look at going somewhere new I always check out tripadvisor, the good the bad and the ugly. Sometimes people over rave and sometimes they over b....
reading reviews of Lemongrass I concluded that it was perhaps a bit over rated but with open minds and mouths we decided to " give it a go"
So the Ambience was wonderful,the service nearly perfect but the food.
I had a Green Papaya Salad as an Entree and Prawns for a main. Both tasted just that bit old especially the salad . I commented to my husband that I had made a better one in Thailand in my only ever Thai cooking class.
His choice for Entree, "Money Bags" was a combination of prawn and crabmeat in a little parcel. On reading others comments on tripadvisor he went for the Massaman Curry Lamb Shanks for a Main, both of which he thoroughly enjoyed.
So don't be put off, as my heading says Mondays maybe a bit disappointing for some.