“La Luna - a gastronomic delight of the highest order!”
Review of La Luna Bistro

La Luna Bistro
Ranked #100 of 4,152 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Carole and I finally got to try Adrian Richardson’s amazing restaurant week or so back. Without any question, the friends we dined with and us had one of the most memorable dinners we can remember having in a long, long time.

Yes, there is little doubt that Adrian’s menu is about the joy of meat, but it is far more than that. People may be tempted to equate it to dear old Vlado’s, but it is more complete than the latter.

The menu is extensive and has a selection that will suit everybody - and you can rest assured you will certainly not leave hungry.

The wine list is extensive and of excellent quality. I even saw Pimms as an aperitif, something I have not seen on a wine list for a long time. So, I enjoyed one – but one could hardly call it a traditional Pimm’s. It certainly contained the necessary ingredients, but it was also heavily based on a fruit salad with wonderfully fresh fruit suspended in the delicious liquor.

Let me tell you a little of my dinner. I can tell you that the rest of them all enjoyed theirs, especially Carole who commented that the pork she had as her main meal was the best she had ever eaten anywhere. Her desert of Pavlova was sent to far exceed those of her mother’s creations, which is no small feat.

I requested the prawns in a chilli and garlic sauce for my entree. They were eight very big king prawns presented all of which were cooked to perfection in a wonderful butter, chilli and garlic sauce. A delight to consume.

For main course, I chose a Filet Mignon, 200gm, buttered beans & pepperonata - rare, of course - quite simply put – sensational - never bettered anyway including Vlado’s. I also requested mushrooms, garlic butter & parsley as a side dish. Again, never bettered anywhere.

Sadly, I could not contemplate dessert - Adrian had bettered me. However, our friends enjoyed Adrian's Mezze Plate selection of delicious desserts (to share for two or more). I was irritated with myself for not being able to take part in this gastronomic delight. However, I am going to make sure I get my turn when we return for Carole’s birthday. ( I booked a reservation that night as reservations can be tight, particularly at the weekend, such is the popularity of this marvellous Bistro).

The Bill? Not expensive when you consider the quality of the dining experience and the love and attention that goes into the meal!

In summary, it was a great night out, superb food, looked after by excellent waiting staff, all of whom make sure you are completely comfortable all night.

We do encourage you to go and experience a wonderful Melbourne Bistro - any visit to Melbourne will be incomplete without a visit to La Luna

2  Thank Ronald M
There are newer reviews for La Luna Bistro

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Doesn't look like much from the outside but like its owner, its definitely full of personality and great value. Very helpful with booking -I had a large group incl overseas visitors, because they are generally busy as you would expect on a Friday night. Easy to get free parking within 50m. The wait staff are fantastic-cheeky and always there when you need them. You can eat outside on the sidewalk area(very nice in summer) because the road is not busy, downstairs is busy and they have an upstairs area as well which is quieter. The menu need two visits to this venue. The starters are good size portions and actually we shared 4 between 5 because we couldn't decide what to have and we wanted to try everything. Like Tapas you could have a very nice lunch this way. The home made pork sausages and the croquettes you could eat all afternoon on the sidewalk having a few beers with friends.The mains are all based around the best cuts and quality of meat you will get anywhere. Adrian obviously takes a lot of care in choosing his suppliers of meat and ages it also on site. Definitely have a steak and he does have small cuts and large ones if you are really hungry-or share a large one because they are I think more nicely cooked and they will prepare it for you to share. But the centre of the menu is the meat!! Its a great restaurant with a great vibe that serves up excellent quality and value homely Italian style meals. Give it a go!!
I go at least once a month now and

1  Thank Lachlan P
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This has got to be one of my best meals I have ever had, a very large piece of rib eye cooked to perfection
Just a shame it's not in Perth

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Fabulous food. I don't eat much but all my children commented on how much I ate. Waddled out of there so full and happy! I cook (well) and that food was better than mine. I want to sit there for a day and just EAT!!!! Good (but not warm) service, OK wine list, ambience is so-so. But I really go out to EAT! YUM!

Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Midweek dinner with Foody friends was reminiscent of Northern Italian village fare. The pork sausages and cod croquettes were notable. The duck was tender crisp and faultless. The pork roast lovely and let down by the sauce softening the crackling.
Service could have been faster and the chairs more comfortable.