“Very nice”

Koko Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #255 of 4,421 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southbank
Description: Experience the serene ambience created by internationally renowned designer Tony Chi midst the tranquil surrounds of a Japanese water garden. Koko offers authentic teppanyaki and à la carte menus for guests to choose from, and is renowned for it's impeccable sushi and sashimi, delicately prepared by our chefs. Koko's also features an impressive sake bar, offering the city's best range of aged and exclusive sake from Australia and Japan.
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We always go to Koko for dinner or lunch when we visit Melbourne. The quality of food just gets better. The vegetarian hotspot with noodle was fantastic and of course the sashimi was world class as usual. It's not a cheap restaurant then again it's worth every cent.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I had a seat between the water feature and the floor to ceiling window. Such an amazing spot where I can enjoy my food and the Yarra Valley River. I ordered a 3 courses lunch, which was fresh and tasty. I would definitely go back when I visit Melbourne next time.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I came here with my husband for our 30th Anniversary on a visit to Melbourne.
My husband ordered the Wagu beef to be cooked Medium rare and he
received a well down Wagu (very tough).
I ordered the grilled salmon and it smelt very fishy.
When the waitress took my plate she did not ask why I had not eaten
any of my meal. I thought I would mention before she walked off that the fish was
not fresh. She did not care in the slightest and took my plate.
The service is appalling and as for the food it has to be the worst Japanese restaurant
I have ever been to.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Went here for a friend's birthday dinner and had an amazing time trying out the first teppanyaki experience in Melbourne at Koko. Although I'm conscious we this visit in November 2013. Was not particularly a busy night but we made a reservation, but nevertheless the restaurant gradually filled up later at night, and of course the teppanyaki tables are all filled. We had a lot to eat from the teppanyaki - there were abalone, fish fillet, tiger prawns, scallops, the wagyu beef (my favourite), and the garlic fried rice. The food was just superb and the teppanyaki chef was just friendly and had a good sense of humour. Only felt so lucky that I didn't have the talkative chef, as according to my friend who had dinner here before, talked a bit too much and spat on the pan while pan-frying. Upon finishing the meal, we had a complimentary birthday cake and a glass of sparkling wine for each person organised by the restaurant as we have stated in our reservation. The cake was followed by fruit salad and green tea icecream. The green tea ice cream here had to be one of the best I've ever had. A bit pricey but it is pretty difficult to find high quality teppanyaki in Melbourne. Overall, very nicely designed restaurant and would certainly revisit for some special events.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We've always been raving about Koko's food and service. Especially for a Japanese restaurant that prides itself for courteous service, we were utterly disappointed this time around. While the food quality was somewhat maintained, their service was appalling (we noticed some partialism too)! We were the only ones there for lunch at 12pm, the assistant restaurant manager Jacqueline Chiou saw us entering the restaurant but turned her back against us and fiddled with the menu display, while we waited for someone to seat us. She eventually turned around, without a smile or any welcoming words brought us to our table. Also, it was very hard to get their attention despite a fairly empty lunch service. At the end of our meal when we finally got their attention to get our bill, the restaurant supervisor Susanna So brought us the bill with once again, no smiles, did not even ask how the meal went, and worst of all, did not say thank you/please come again after we had paid. This is certainly not restaurant quality service!

1  Thank eldances