“Really just a takeaway”

Ranked #203 of 4,256 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Dined there with my wife expecting a good restaurant only to be given a table next to the door and the front desk.
Whilst There was nothing wrong with the food I do not appreciate paying top dollar for very, very small plates of food and then to have an overweight, and there is no other word for it, slob in shorts walking barefoot around the restaurant.
I have spent considerable time in Japan and know that all of the Japanese restauranteurs would never tolerate this.
Sorry Kenzan a very disappointing night and I think you should lift your game. There are far better Japanese restaurants in Melbourne.
Me.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Kenzan on Collins Street is One of my favorite Japanese restaurants anywhere- the service is excellent; warm, friendly and efficient an the food is simply superb.
The prawn dumplings are absolutely amazing; don't try to share a plate- you'll want all four yourself. Whether you decide on the sashimi, a plate of tempura or the teriyaki for main, you'll be more than satisfied. Finish off with a scoop of green tea ice cream and you have yourself the perfect Japanese dinner!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Had not been to this restaurant but was taken recently by a friend for birthday. Staff were efficient, food was delicious. Great selection of wines too.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Back in the 80s my Mum took me out for my birthday to the Kenzan. It was the first Japanese restaurant I'd ever been to, and it was a revelation! Miso soup is pure magic when you're a kid.

I've popped back a few times since then and it has always reconfirmed my love of Japanese cuisine, which has been damaged by poor execution and little care by some other restaurants I've been to. Kenzan always re-calibrates the senses and reminds me of all that is good about Japanese food.

In recent times on walking through the restaurant, I've felt its beige-ness as looking a little dated and shabby, but always by the time I am seated the luxury of quiet attentive service has worked its magic and I can appreciate Kenzan's muted elegance

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I happened across Kenzan after my morning coffee, wandering around upper Collins Street. After bookshopping, I came back for lunch, and was not disappointed.
From the sushi bar, I found the atmosphere traditional and quiet, though the place was busy [in a restaurant-full part of town], which is a good sign.
Reliably fresh, classic and very good Japanese menu, without any real surprises [unfortunately, I thought]. At the top of Collins Street, it is not cheap, but you get the quality you pay for . . . including excelently attentive Japanese service!
The prawn dumplings were some of the best I have tasted: hot, full, with not much flour, just prawn. Ideal to start on a miserably rainy Melbourne day.
I asked for a medium sushi and sashimi dish, but was persuaded by the Japanese waitress to start with a small, to which I could add, should it prove insufficient. The fish and prawn were all fresh, soft and very tasty. I followed with a sushi roll of tuna and avocado; whaich came from the kitchen not the sushi chefs behind the bar - and came so quickly as to have been pre-made. This was small in diameter and fresh, but not up to the rest of the meal. I had been unable to communicate sufficiently with the sushi chef to get what I was after or to benefit from his creativity. Disappointing.
All in all, a reliable Japanese meal at the upper end. Good for a more formal lunch with someone not at home with Japanese food, or just wanting very good quality and classic dishes.