“upmarket prices but average food”
Review of Isthmus of Kra - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Isthmus of Kra
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 5, 2012

four of us dined here last week. It is not the usual run of the mill Thai menu, which attracted us as we all love Thai food and have all visited Thailand.
The entrees were nice, if a little on the small side. The green papaya salad was ordered as spicy, but could have had a lot more chilli. The mains were just average. Slow cooked beef dish was in a very thick coconut sauce which seemed to have split and the beef was quite stringy and dry. The lamb dish was in a very similar tasting sauce (although the menu said otherwise) but at least the lamb was nicely cooked. A chicken green curry was ok, but hardly any spice to it at all. We were given desert menus but when we went to order we were told the kitchen was closed. Overall, not a bad meal , but i wouldn't return given the numerous other cheaper options in the city.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Unlike some other reviewers, we had not been here previously and so had no basis of comparison. Our group were there on a Monday night and the restaurant was quiet.
We found the menu offerings interesting and the food of very good quality and well flavoured. A dietary requirement of one of us was handled seriously and with no fuss.
Service was well paced during our evening and our waiter was exceptional. He was very well presented and professional, helpful but unobtrusive, beautifully mannered and courteous, which enhanced the dining experience here, well above expectations for the location and somewhat unassuming appearance of this establishment.

1  Thank Parnellian
Reviewed September 6, 2012

About 20 years ago I use to eat at this Thai restaurant about twice a week. It was fantastic. I remember the Monsoon Oysters and the whole Crispy Fried Fish. Some of the most memorable dishes. Last week l found myself in Park St, South Melbourne as was elated to see it's still there. So I booked for dinner. The restaurant doesn't seem as exotic or sumptuous as I remember, but the hand-made cutlery is still used and there were many familiar dishes on the menu, but sadly no crispy fish. The menu is quite small nowdays. We ordered the Monsoon Oysters, Pandan Chicken for entree. The Monsoon Oysters were as good as l remember - an aussie invention but with those familiar thai aromatics and plump juicy oysters. Pandan chicken was a bit overcooked but ok. We then had a red duck curry, roti and steamed rice. It was as good as I remember and the reason why l never order that dish anywhere else - it would not compare (except maybe one of David Thompsons). The wine list is good and well priced and the service was friendly and efficient. So glad it's still there. Goes to show that good restaurants survive while the hip 'new big things' quickly disappear.

2  Thank Virginia L
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We went to this restaurant Saturday night. Thought it is overated and expensive. We have a local Thai restaurant where the food is just as good at half the price, certainly would not rush back.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I first came to this restaurant a few years back, on the recommendation of a knowing local, and have been very impressed on my subsequent visits. So much so, that rarely do I travel overnight to Melbourne without making the trip out to South Melbourne for my dose of Isthmus!

Let's deal with the superficial: when you first walk in, you think you've happened across a suburban Thai restaurant. Its tables and chairs have seen, cough, many a red curry; they are clean and perfectly serviceable but perhaps not consistent with the food they'll subsequently bear. Having said that, a lovely water feature and some good interior design make up for the tired tables.

So let's get to the main game: the food. It's fresh, innovative and highly tasty; teaming old favourites with fresher alternatives. They make good use of rich bases and fresh herbs to lift their well prepared veges and good cuts of meat to an even higher level. I had the duck red curry and it was a heavenly mix of luscious sauce and duck, with crisp, fresh veg. Get a roti to fully appreciate the sauce (don't tell your dietician!).

They have a good wine list, including a good range by the glass. Their 'Girt by Sea' out of Margaret River is a perfect companion to a good, rich red curry.

Service is knowledgeable and responsive, without being intrusive.

All in all, I reckon this place is a terrific presence in the sea of really good Melbourne restaurants.