“Always good quality”

Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed October 19, 2012

A great place for a quiet business lunch or evening meal. Service here is always efficient. The sushi and sashimi are great and the tempura as good as anywhere I have been.

Best to avoid the tables near the door. Upstairs is also good and often much less busy.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Great shabu shabu experience with a nice wine selection! Couldn't help myself with Gyoza as well. Nice window seat to watch the people go by over dinner and the dessert was worth the wait.

1  Thank ausdude70
Reviewed July 5, 2012

At the door at noon, I found Hanabishi had some great warming and delicious sets for lunch. Quiet and unassuming, Hannabishi's excellent wine & sake list provided some excellent cold cold sake in the 'dry' and 'fine & elegant' quadrant of its guidance chart. The write up and chart give an outline of the type and the alcohol % as well. I found this very useful, as my limited knowledge of sake craves education, as my taste of this exceptionally refined beverage expands.
I had the crispy deep-fried soft-shell crab, which was deliciously, just-right [why did I have just the entree?]; followed, for both of us, by the vegetarian set, of soft and hot Agedashi Tofu, very light vegetable tempura, miso, rice and salad.
Fortunately, Hanabishi closes at 2:30, making 2.5 hours [600ml] of 17% sake just right!!
Recommended for a quiet lunch for one to 6 people, with a great range of lunch sets to get to know Japanese food.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Have been several times and is always excellent, I think this is definitely the bet Japanese in Melb, highly recommend the restaurant.

1  Thank Michael L
Reviewed June 26, 2012

It was a cold Monday night in a cold Melbourne winter. My husband and I managed to offload the kids with a babysitter for a special treat. We chose this restaurant because it was the highest ranked Japanese restaurant on trip advisor although we were surprised there wasn't one ranked more highly. We decided to risk it and boy, was it worth it.
Hanabishi is situated near the corner of Bourke and King St in the city, amongst several other Japanese restaurants. It is a simple, nicely put-together room that seats 25 - 30 people. The first thing that struck me was how COMFORTABLE the seats were - very important in my book. Even my husband noticed it. Service was polite and attentive without rushing the diner.
Now for the food. We began with the Hanabishi rolls and they were delectable! Fresh and creamy and so tasty. We moved on to the assorted sushi and sashimi plate to share and we were blown away. My husband and I both travel a lot and are quite hard to please when it comes to restaurant food, but this plate was exquisite. The cuts of salmon, tuna and dory were better than we have had just about anywhere. The fish was of such high quality that it was almost crunchy. For main course, my husband had the Japanese wagyu beef, which was half the price of the premium wagyu beef dish, but absolutely superb anyway. I am not a big fan of beef but I was wishing I had ordered it as we were traveling home. My scampi was really good but not as great as the wagyu. For dessert, I chose the green tea creme brûlée. It sounds a little odd but it was delicious. I gave myself a little pat on the back.
Our dinner for two with drinks and tip was $200. My only criticism was that the room was a little cold although my husband liked the temperature. Bring a cardigan and enjoy a night that is a food lover's dream!

1  Thank CaramutJane