“Great cocktails and bar snacks”
Review of Hairy Canary - CLOSED

Hairy Canary
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Melbourne, Australia
“Great cocktails and bar snacks”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The Hairy Canary and it's Hairy Little Sista are both good laid back coktail and snack bars worth a visit - Hairs Sista does excellent eggplant chips!

Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
“Regular customers no more...”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

A group of friends and I have an annual Christmas catch up at Hairy and have done so for the past 4 years. The food USED to be excellent and great value for money. This time around we were served tiny tapas plates, I'd say the worst value for money I've experienced in Melbourne. Am not sure how they justify charging $15.70 for 3 prawns! We sent the calamari back as we couldn't actually quite find any calamari on the tiny plate of batter. On a plus the duck pizza was delicious if you were lucky enough to get one of the 5 pieces of duck on the plate. We couldn't have been more disappointed. Sorry guys, you've lost your touch - along with the eggplant chips (one of our favorites and told by the waiter everyone asked what happened to them). Next Christmas we'll treat ourselves to somewhere else...

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Alex C
Melbourne, Australia
“Not what I thought it was”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I had been to the Hairy Canary a few years back and remembered a fun night with good food. Revisiting this spot was not what I expected this time around. The menu is pretty average - nothing really captured me so I settled for something that was OK I guess. Drinks were OK, service was slow and disinterested. Don't bother - there are so many other great places in the area to choose from. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great.

• Visited December 2012
melbourne
“Great food to share with friends”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Had a nice dinner with friends. The food is designed for sharing and we enjoyed what we ordered. It was quite noisy and a bit hard to hear each other, but it's that kind of place, and you go expecting it to be loud

Visited October 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“great food, service and atmosphere”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

really good wine and beer list, lovely snack food and pizza. Staff are really helpful and a nice place to catch up with friends

Visited June 2012