“Great squid and Peking duck”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Flower Drum

Flower Drum
Reserve with
Flower Drum is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 4,053 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Nashville, Tn
“Great squid and Peking duck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was the right combination of great food and service. Our waiter helped us create an impromptu tasting menu to share. We had fried squid, dumplings, Peking duck pancakes and seafood noodles. This is not nouvelle Chinese but if you like traditional cuisine that is well prepared and very tasty go to Flower Drum.

• Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
“Peking Out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Service at Flower Drum was faultless. Waiters everywhere but unobtrusive and very knowledgable and proud of their workplace. We recommend the four course winter tasting menu, super delicious, Peking duck was faultless and toffee apple to die for. Must get the toffee apple!

We ordered the wagyu upgrade for main, however were not charged for it because the waiter believed it was not up to standard. It was beautiful and perfectly cooked!!

We can see why Flower Drum has stood the test of time, what a class act.

Visited June 2013
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We dined at Flower Drum two nights after a faultless dining experience at Silks, so it was a great opportunity to compare Melbourne's two most upmarket Chinese Restaurants. They are different to each other, but of equally high quality.

Flower Drum was a Friday night, the restaurant was busy but not fully booked. We liked the way tables were spaced out. Very nice room, nice ambience. Waiters were everywhere, and service was excellent yet unobtrusive. We ordered a la carte; Braised Abalone, Siu Mai, Peking Duck, Chilli Prawns with Singapore Noodles, Toffee Apples. All beautiful, the Peking Duck in pancakes was the best I have ever had, anywhere in the world.

Our main waiter was extremely helpful in explaining sauces etc. The wine list is excellent. We will definitely return on future visits to Melbourne.

Prices reflect the quality of a true fine dining experience.

• Visited June 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Living in the Seventies!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I live in Sydney and have heard about the Flower Drum for decades and finally decided to go over the long weekend whilst we were in Melbourne for the NGV Monet Garden exhibition.

Our first sort-of disappointment came earlier when I was told that neither Saturday nor Sunday evenings were available but that Saturday lunch was available so we booked that and rationalised that this was not necessarily a bad thing as it was probably indicative of continuing high standards and hence popularity.

Our waiter convinced me that I should have the Autumn Tasting Lunch and I duly ordered the Peking Duck followed by the Steamed Wild Barramundi Fillet.

My wife opted for the a la carte and ordered three courses (two entrees and one main).

Despite some ‘rave reviews’ on TA, the Peking Duck was just average and I’ve often had a lot better at far less salubrious restaurants in Sydney. The Barramundi tasted superb – lovely fleshy fillet cooked to perfection with a delicious light sauce. The trouble was that it was all gone in about in about three or four bites. It had to be the smallest fillet of fish that I’ve ever been served in any restaurant ever in my forty years of dining at restaurants both in Australia and elsewhere. I made mention of this to the waiter who just smiled sheepishly and I gained the impression that this was not the first time that he had heard similar comments. And whilst on the subject of service, I thought all the silly ballyhoo and showmanship of table waiter food finishing went out with the seventies. Not so here it seems. We had to endure the tiresome ritual of Peking Duck being wrapped at our table with consequent loss of heat and the same silly showmanship with my wife’s main course which also ended up insufficiently hot.

My wife was also not happy with her courses both because of the aforementioned and the blandness of every dish.

We thought that maybe we were old dining dinosaurs but it seems that we have moved on but Flower Drum has not. Ticked that box and won’t be back.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Lexus51
Melbourne, Australia
“A class act”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Fantastic service and food, although very expensive, but worth paying for a special occasion. Visited with my elderly mother and she was treated like royalty - just lovely for her.