“A decent South Indian restaurant. Try it!”

Flora Indian Restaurant
Ranked #326 of 4,176 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Good vegetarian Indian food. They also serve meat except for pork, though they do not have halal certification. We had the masala dosa and it was filling. The rice and vegetarian dishes go well too. Location is central along Flinders street, which is very close to Federation Square and Flinders train station. Service is quick so you do not have to wait long to get your food. Price is reasonable though you definitely cannot compare pricing to Little India in Singapore.

1  Thank ShanazNazeeha

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Just wanting a quick lunch and not particularly impressive on the outside, but quick counter order & pay service and very reasonably priced.. Just opposite the main station so very convenient and the food seemed very similar to what we'd eaten in India. Nice light Dosas, big selectoion of veggie 8 non veggie food, pastries & rice. Being Aussie we were in the minority so a good recommendation. Water jugs handy and lots of tables. Maybe not for a special dinner but a quick meal it's good.

2  Thank budgetnomad
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Nice Southindian menu . Reasonably priced . Good for a quick lunch . Dinner menu could be different as opposed to the lunch menu. Price is OK considering its on Flinders Street. Service is quick.

1  Thank Aftab_Urooj_Ahmed
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Okay first of all I am a foodie and greatly love eating out. I was in Melbourne central city area for more than 2 months and hence got a chance to relish amazing fare that Melbourne has to offer. Feeling like having Indian food I stumbled across Flora on Flinders Street. Seeing it busy and I decided to take away my dinner from Flora.

First impression of service is rude, rushed & impersonal. Any fast food joint would have service far more personal and polite. The ladies who serve on the cash counter should take lessons in customer service. I ordered for 2 curries, naan and rice. The food was delivered quickly enough.

After reaching home my first shocker was to see two curries and rice was in a single container, which got all three mixed with disastrous results. Food was far below average and chicken was overcooked and dry. Overall I ended up having instant noodles for dinner.

I have had Indian food in more than 10 countries (UK, France, Belgium, Italy, US, New Zealand, Australia, Netherlands, Mauritius & India) and I can certainly say that Flora at Flinders St, Melbourne is the worst Indian restaurant in my experience.

I would suggest anyone in Melbourne city to stay clear of Flora. You can take a little walk and eat at "Desi Dhabha" on Flinders Street instead.

3  Thank kantvx
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We always go to Flora every time we are in Melbourne. I love it there. It's not flash, more of a cafe really, you probably wouldn't choose Flora for a special occasion. Usually we are the only non Indians in there, which is a huge tick/testament in my book. This is such a busy place but you never have to wait long for your food. Try the range of Dosa's.....So fresh and yummy. Onion dosa with dal and cocunut chutney for $6.50. Great for lunch or a quick and inexpensive dinner.

1  Thank Rosemary650