“Amazing”

Cuisines: Asian, Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: EZARD has been serving Teage Ezard’s acclaimed ‘Australian freestyle’ cuisine for seventeen years in a sleek subterranean dining room in the heart of the Melbourne CBD. Guests are invited to indulge in a variety of ways: from a weekday express lunch or pre-theatre dinner, to an eight course tasting menu replete with complementary wines to match. Quality seasonal produce is of the utmost importance; we foster long-standing relationships with our suppliers to ensure access to the very best of Australian ingredients. The menu continually evolves to take advantage of each ingredient at the height of its flavour, colour, appearance and quality.
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

the staff for a wonderful evening. The food was amazing (best steak I've ever had) and the the ambience was delightful. We will defiantly come back again very soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Hailing from Melbourne originally but having lived internationally for many years it was with great expectation I brought my partner to Ezard, convinced that it would exhibit the fine food for which Melbourne is deservedly reputed. Unfortunately our experience at Ezard fell well short of this expectation. When we arrived our table was not ready so we were forced to sit on a couch (they do not even have a bar) for over 30 minutes. When we were finally seated we were squashed in so that the next diners were inches apart and we could hear everything they were saying. Unthinkable in a restaurant anywhere else in the world purporting to be '2 hats' or '2 stars'. We then sat for another hour and ten minutes with only being served amous bouche. So our booking was for 8.30 and it was 10.10 and we had only had amous bouche. Considering we had ordered the 8 course tasting menu we were worried we would be there all night. We asked for the Manager and he was quite good and kept the meal rolling from there. The food was ok, the duck being the highlight and other courses being a bit hit and miss. There is no doubt the chef is talented but was let down by his serving staff.

Another issue with the restaurant is the style of service. Not just Ezard but many fine dining restaurants in Australia think that fine dining means that the service should be stiff and formal. Their international counterparts thankfully don't have this conception so it is possible to have dialogue which makes the meal far more enjoyable than being served by a wooden staff member. I found this also with the Sommelier, it was disappointing that the matching wines were actually listed on the menu, which gives the Sommelier no chance to improvise and respond to the patrons personal tastes. Other restaurants do this and it makes the meal interactive and personal.

Ezard was not even approaching the same standard as the flawless La Gavroche in London and brilliant Narasawa in Tokyo (both of which we dined at in the previous few months), but charged the same price. In future I will stick to my favourite Melbourne haunts.

6  Thank ChristenDubai
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We only had the chance for one night out as a couple in Melbourne, and this restaurant group was highly recommended. We started with cocktails at a bar nearby (Cabinet Bar & Balcony) which was a lovely place for an aperitif. We went a la carte, though those having the tasting menu around us were obviously really enjoying it. I started with the gnocchi with toasted brioche crumb - a cheesy delight while my wife went for the scallops and really enjoyed it. For mains the duck and the pork - for me there was too much of the chili caramel sauce with the pork - for someone with a sweet tooth, though, they would probably have loved it. The Pork was beautifully cooked. We had the tasting dessert - sensational, and thoroughly recommended

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Ok, so your fellow dinners at Ezard may err on the mature side because, let's face it, you need to have some coin to come here. However, it may be the last time that I ever order a degustation menu with paired wines because it was so good that I just want to remember it forever. I have eaten at plenty of fancy places (including Momo Fuko in New York) and this blew everything else away.

The service was wonderful and the food and it's presentation just gorgeous. Stand out dishes for me were the spanner crab dumpling, the oyster shot, and the pork belly paired with apple cider. I will try that at home (albeit in a simpler form!). Desserts were solid but not as incredible as the savoury courses even though we had the dessert plate.

This restaurant is worth the hype and I highly recommend it.

1  Thank MediaTart
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We went for an anniversary dinner and had the degustation with wine. Expensive but the service was exceptional, the food was exceptional and the associated drinks were well matched to the food. Just a brilliant place to go for a special meal, make sure you take a cab. Thanks.

3  Thank MiddleAgedGit