“Expensive!”

Cuisines: Asian, Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: EZARD has been serving Teage Ezard’s acclaimed ‘Australian freestyle’ cuisine for seventeen years in a sleek subterranean dining room in the heart of the Melbourne CBD. Guests are invited to indulge in a variety of ways: from a weekday express lunch or pre-theatre dinner, to an eight course tasting menu replete with complementary wines to match. Quality seasonal produce is of the utmost importance; we foster long-standing relationships with our suppliers to ensure access to the very best of Australian ingredients. The menu continually evolves to take advantage of each ingredient at the height of its flavour, colour, appearance and quality.
Sydney, Australia
“Expensive!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We visited recently for my husbands bday dinner and decided to go for the 8 course degustation menu. We went to eat at Ezard a number of years back and thoroughly enjoyed it, hence why we decided to return. Food was disappointing for the price we paid, there was a lot of effort put into presentation of the food, waiters were very chatty and friendly but for $350 dinner for 2 i think i expected a little bit more. Serves were tiny, which is expected for fine dining restaurants but by the end of it, there was not one great dish that stood out. Everything was just nice or so so, nothing spectacular as you would expect from a hatted expensive restaurant.

Edinburgh
“Lovely stylish restaurant and great value lunch”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had a lovely Valentine's lunch here on my first taste of Australian Chef Hat rated food ( after visiting several UK and European Michelin Starred restaurants). We shared one of the set lunches along with some courses from the a la carte menu. It was excellent, I'd highly recommend it. The food was great and the ambience and staff were lovely. It's a lot less stuffy than European restaurants (less of a dress code) but just as good quality. If you're in Melbourne, give it a try!

Melbourne, Australia
“Amazingly Good!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had dined at this restaurant years ago and wasn't sure what to expect but from when we arrived we knew this place had lost none of it's appeal that it had back then. Great service with a really lovely waiter who showed us the highlights of the menu. I ended up having the duck and it was amazing, lots of flavor and one of the best I've tried. My partner had the barramundi and again the flavors were fantastic. I asked them to match a wine and had a pinot noir from geelong, I was told it was one of the countries best, it didn't disappoint. It's at the top end of dining in Melbourne, but worth it for the quality.

Melbourne, Australia
“4 Stars . . . just”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Ezard is a really good restaurant. I'm sure it is. The only problem is that I keep having to remind myself why.

Let's quickly do the basic hit list:

Food - Good.
Wine List - Strong.
Front of house staff - Slick & professional.
Ambience - A little tight, but pleasant enough.
Price - Expensive.

OK. At face value, this all looks promising. But, when I take a hard look at Ezard, I find I have a few problems. Basically, at this price, and with its reputation, Ezard should romp in with a 5 star score, and for me it simply doesn't come up to scratch.

Let's look, again, at the hit list:

Food: Yes, it's good. It looks good, and it tastes good. But, I find it can be complicated and a little overworked, and to me, it lacks definition.

When I eat at the Royal Mail at Dunkeld, Aria in Sydney, Jacques Reymond, or Ten Minutes by Tractor, I find myself raving about the star dishes for weeks after the event. These are fair comparisons, because Ezard certainly pitches its offering to be competing in this league. But, you know what?? 24 hours after eating at Ezard, I struggle to describe a single dish. If asked, my recollection will be one of "Ezard? Yeah, the food's pretty good".

Wine: I blame myself for this. I don't do matched wines with degustation menus, but recently made the mistake of letting my guard down at Ezard. I confess that I had a really successful experience with this at Whirrakee in Bendigo late last year, and maybe this was still fresh in my mind. Anyway, never again! An eclectic selection accompanied the courses at Ezard. We struck a positive note early with the recently released 2002 Pol Roger, but things quickly went to hell after that. Maybe the folk at Ezard were trying just a bit too hard to be innovative or clever, but most of the wine matches simply didn't work for me. I found a number of the couplings to be on the bizarre side of adventurous, and certainly, the quality of most didn't come up to the level I would choose myself.

So, I'm not blaming Ezard for the less than satisfactory wine outcome. It's my fault. I know not to do this! I need to be in control of the wine list!! Never again!!!

So, in summary, this all looks a bit confusing. At the headline I've rated Ezard as Very Good, and then done nothing but complain about it.

Why? Because, in my opinion, Ezard is playing in a price league where the punters expect to have their socks blown off, and to walk away from the restaurant with stars in their eyes. And for me, they are simply not hitting that mark.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank PJW222
Lakewood, Ohio
“Didn't even get to try the food”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

After fighting through the pathetic excuse of a booking system Ezard uses including selecting a date and time multiple times and getting a message that it's not available a second later, I got a reservation for Monday night at 8pm which was promptly confirmed via a phone call around noon that day.

My cab was early and not much traffic so I get 15, no 18 min early to be exact and I'm greeted with a grin and a "you are quite early" phrase. A bit surprised I think to myself - I've been to restaurants that are quite stringent with their timing, one of them having me booked at 7:06 pm so maybe these guys are hardcore. I'm offered a drink in the lounge while I wait. I take a look at the tables and as expected there are at least 5 tables I can see that are empty.

Sure, I sit down, look through the wine list and 10 min later the maître d shows up again to ask what I would like. Now I get uneasy - 10 min should have been my wait time for a table, not to tell you what my drink while I wait for my table would be.

By the time my drink arrives two couples have walked in and were seated right away, a third couple walked in and clearly did not have their names on the list because the waitress could not find them and had to talk to the maître d while they waited with me.

At 8:30 pm, after over 40 min of waiting for a table with a reservation and not a single person could be bothered to come over and even try to explain what is going on, I got up, left some money for my drink and walked out. Two other couples were seated right away in the mean time.

I travel a lot and I've spent a fair amount of time at restaurants. This one being at the low end of the pricey range of establishments I could not have imagined I would not even get to the table. I don't mind waiting when it's because I was too lazy to get a reservation. I don't mind waiting 15-20 min even with a reservation when I can see that the restaurant is full and people are making their best to accommodate. But when I see lots of empty tables and I have a confirmed booking and I have to wait close to an hour then I feel people should know.

I can only feel sorry for the chefs that slave in the kitchen and try to put something new out there and all of their work goes to waste because of incompetent supporting staff that won't even let you try it. They didn't even have a computer to keep track of their reservations and had to look trough a printed list, in the dark. Someone forgot to tell those guys we are in the 21st century.
For me that rates as bad as having rats in the kitchen.

Feel free to decide if you want to support such an establishment and whether you would risk a similar experience when you have a date or a loved one with you.

9 Thank pinky-and-me
TheEzardGroup, General Manager at Ezard, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing your disappointing experience on TripAdvisor and Urban Spoon. I'm genuinely horrified by your experience with us.

Clearly I had made a mistake as I thought your reservation was for a party of two, hence why you were offered the choice of waiting for your guest at your table or in the lounge. I genuinely apologise for misreading our reservation list. This is something that seldom happens, as the hard drive to our front desk computer had crashed that afternoon we had to resort to a printed reservation list on that evening, which as you rightly point out was difficult to read in the ambient light.

After service, upon reviewing our reservations I identified that your reservation was for one guest, which made clear why you had left early. I immediately attempted to contact you on the mobile number and email address you supplied with the reservation, so I could acknowledge and rectify this situation for you.

As I requested in the messages I left, please contact me at the restaurant on 03 9639 6811 or office@ezard.com.au, so I have the opportunity to present you with the high quality food and service experience we are renowned for.

Kind regards,