“Fantastic Food, Great Service”
Review of The European

The European
Ranked #52 of 4,151 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was a little skeptical going here with the negative reviews, however gave it a go on a friends recommendation. Walked in without the knowledge that it was so booked out. Staff were friendly and accomedated the fact that we had not made a booking. Got a table outside on a not so warm day, and the waiter bought the heater over. Great atmosphere, rissoto was fantastic, and pork belly entree was unbelievable! Wine was great.

Would recommend this for a quick (and really tasty bite) but not really for a dinner as such. Good for a quick stop before the theatre.

There are newer reviews for The European

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and i went here for our wedding anniversary.We were lucky to get a booking as this place is booked out months in advance. We had the chateau Briand, cooked rare delectable ! Recommend a visit

1  Thank Sharon H
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This place is in a lovely location not too far from a couple of theatres, the decore is stunning, the coffee great and the service efficient; what more could you look for? By the way I didn't eat there so am not able to comment on the food.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Fantastic location in a wonderful city, but the rudeness and inattentiveness of wait staff was breathtaking in a city that is renowned for its professional service. When we arrived early and I was waiting outside the restaurant, I had the temerity to rest my computer case on an outdoor table. I was immediately accosted by an agressive female waiter who asked if I was "...just camping out on one of the tables...", and if so, could I move on !

When I informed them I had a booking, we were grudgingly ushered into the restaurant and then had to wait for any attention at all. We had to ask for menus, ask what the speacials were, even ask for butter knives.

Then the same rude waiter came back and told us that they had graciously decided we were "...not on a time limit, so we could actually stay for at least 70 minutes". I politely reminded her we had made a booking, and she just sniffed and walked off.

The food (when it arrived) was OK, nothing incredible. I won't be going back to this restaurant, and (based on other recent reviews) neither will a lot of other people !

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Sunday breakfast for four. It wasn't overly crowded but you felt like the wait staff were pushing you through and our waitress showed no signs of patience when one amongst was hesitating to decide on the order. "I come back when your're ready". Thanks very much, three of us had placed orders and waiting for a nanosecond ishould not have been an issue.

The coffee was good and amongst melbourne's finest. The breakfast menu wwas limited and the 'smashed avocado" came out as tiny - a tablespoon full. Very poor value for money.

The fruit toast was fine as were the pancakes but nothing spectacular and getting jams an maralaide in corny prepackage tones down the affair.

Cost with 2 bottles of water - $100.

We can do better elsewhere thank you.