“Decent Chinese food, below average service.”

Dragon Boat Restaurant
Ranked #777 of 4,225 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Just like a previous reviewer, I am also confused as to which Dragon Boat restaurant is this as I entered the restaurant via Little Bourke Street. Anyway this is the one for Little Bourke Street.

Before I start, I must state to another reviewer who said that this place does not serve Chinese food. I think that is a very severe statement to make as reviews are a very subjective thing. It does not mean that being a Chinese makes you the absolute reviewer of Chinese food or a chef from Singapore does not know how to make Chinese food.

Coming back to the food review, we ate here for dinner and ordered the pork ribs with dunno-what sauce, the steamed king prawns, peking duck and tofu combination. The pork ribs were good enough to be decently Chinese. It's a play of the sweet-and-sour pork rib, except that it's not sour and the sauce is definitely home-concocted. It does not make it any less pleasant for consumption. The pork is not absolutely tender, but at least it does not leave a bad after-taste as some other places do. The steamed king prawns (it's really not that big in Australia) is fresh, but not absolutely tasty enough to warrant its freshness. The accompanying soy-sauce-chilli dip did not help things unfortunately.

The tofu combination was enjoyable. My wife complimented on the tasty mushrooms in it and I find the prawns and the tofu fresh. Lucky for them as I consider this as a basic Chinese dish. i.e. cannot make it for this, you can't make it for anything else. The Peking duck was a big let down. Let's put it this way, slicing such a thick chunk of skin and meat only spells trouble when the Peking duck wrap cools down. It becomes a very tough piece of meat that overwhelm the experience of eating decent Peking duck.

Service-wise, I must say they need a lot of improvement. From the start, the waiter was recommending us (2 adults) to take the whole lobster dish. Now, any understanding waiter will never ask us to take a whole lobster (1.2 kg) as this will mean depriving space in our stomach for any other dishes. When we turned down the recommendation and asked for more time to reconsider our menu selection, he walked off and we never saw him again. Our orders were eventually taken by this young lady who at least took the extra effort to check for prawn-dumpling dim-sum (generally not available for dinner) and brought the last set to our princess. Maybe it was closing time, but it sure took a lot of effort to bring any waiting staff to our attention. E.g. Our dirty plates (filled with bones and shell) required us to initiate the change rather than depended on the proactiveness of the staff. Another example, our tea pot was empty and we had to signal quite some time for somebody to refill it with hot water.

Will I recommend this place to friends? Maybe, if all other choices fail. It does not serve any distinctive menu, but it does not have that bad a dish.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Thinking it was a nice place to dine, my partner & I popped into this Chinese yumcha for lunch. We normally have great experience but this was absolutely disappointing! I DO NOT recommend this restaurant to anyone. The service was POOR, we asked for a simple small plate of chilli sauce THREE times & still did not receive anything. There were dishes on the table that were not being removed, the food was not fresh, it was sticky, cold, waiters DID not bring us food, we had to ask. Instead, they were happily approaching more western business people rather than others around. In addition to that, the food was overpriced! Nothing more to say except, BAD SERVICE, BAD FOOD, CRAP PLACE! You're wasting time & money

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Just because you call something Dragon Boat, it does not make it a Chinese restaurant. not sure who cooks in this place but this certainly does not taste or even look like authentic Chinese food to me.
My bad, I should have read some of the reviews here first, but then again, we live and learn.

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

We decided to try this restaurant judging by the queue at the doors and the amount of people inside. In the queue, we were very disappointed as the restaurant didn't bother managing the queue or attending to the queue. When seated, we were further surprised by the exorbitant prices of the dim sum. The food didn't even taste good. They're definitely one of the worse dim sum we've ever had. We will not recommend this restaurant to anyone. At least not for dim sum.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Service is just dreadful from any one of the Asian university students who clearly don't want to be working. Food is just so disappointing and very western. Should have known better than to eat at a restaurant full of western customers and not an Asian in sight. They obviously know better.