“Wonderful staff and best porterhouse steak in years”
Review of The Deanery

The Deanery
Ranked #1,512 of 4,029 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful staff and best porterhouse steak in years”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My partner and I stumbled across the Deanery at the end of a Melbourne lane. We were looking for somewhere to have an early evening drink and possibly dinner. Upon entry the staff were very helpful and welcoming. We enjoyed a relaxing drink the in lounge area, then relocated to the restaurant. The spacing between tables in the restaurant was very spacious. The service we very professional and friendly. The atmosphere made me think this is somewhere you dine on a special occasion. The porterhouse steak (which was aged) was cooked to perfection - melted in our mouths. Definitely will consider this restaurant for a special event.

• Visited June 2012

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Impressive all around”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Had a business dinner and was amazed at the restaurant. The food was excellent - the cheese mushroom souffle was elegant, the steak was perfectly cooked and the salmon was fresh and tasty. The wine list is wonderful - but as a sommelier, I can tell you the wine service was perfect. Normally I notice a few things that should be done, but the server knew all the small details - I usually never remark on it, but I had to tell them how well it was all done. I wouldn't hesitate to go back - a definite recommendation for me.

• Visited February 2013
Broadford, Australia
“Old fashioned service!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I went here on a Friday night pre theatre. A friendly waitress took us to our table and assured us we would be out well in time for our show. The restaurant was quite busy from about 6.30.
The service was excellent, just the right amount of time between courses, removing salt and pepper at the end of the main course, sweeping the table clean before offering the sweets menu.
The food was very good, a very nice charcuterie choice, some entrees and mains including dry aged beef and a fantastic looking souffle. My husband had the hapuku fillet on a tomato concasse and I had skirt steak, which was very tasty, and a little chewy as this cut generally must be. An excellent wine list and a fair selection of wines by the glass.
Modern style decor with exposed pipes and interesting filament light globes and wine storage racks behind glass on one wall.
Downstairs the bar was fairly humming with Friday night revellers, but the noise in the restaurant was manageable and it was possible to converse easily. We would return.

• Visited October 2012
Perth
“Awesome (as my son would say)”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Brilliant. Some of the nicest food we had in Melbourne. Between the four of us we had the 2 serves of the roast half Duck, the pie and the fish of the day. All were done beautifully - we wish we had bigger tummies so we could eat more. Great wines by the glass. We a very attentive waitress who always made sure our glasses were topped up and we were never waiting long for anything despite the restaurant being quite busy. Highly recommended.

Visited September 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“great lunch specials”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Had a great lunch here recently, very good value, nice glass of wine included, highly recommended, great value

• Visited August 2012