“A slice of heaven and Italy.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caterina's Cucina E Bar

Caterina's Cucina E Bar
Reserve with
Caterina's Cucina E Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #328 of 3,851 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Melbourne
“A slice of heaven and Italy.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

This place isn't easy to spot. In a basement in a non-trendy part of Queen Street. Wooden panelling and an atmosphere that remained me so much of Italy. It is excellent and has been in business now for close to 20 years old. Caterina still runs the front of house with a firm hand and attention to detail. The menu is reasonably limited but is supplemented by a host of daily specials. A group of 5 of us enjoyed Vitello Tonato which was about as good as I've eaten. Here or in Italy. Lovely specs of poached veal and the mayonnaise was unctuous. Scallops were served seared with a sauce of beet root ( lovely) and some fried garlic. The whole dish was worth eating....twice. 2 of the party had duck risotto and would have eaten a Second plateful. A good extensive wine list, reasonably priced.

And Caterina is a lovely host. Who provided us with a lovely glass ( or was it 2?) of her home made orange grappa. Another reason to return.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank MikeFB

Melbourne, Australia
“So delicious- a must visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I ate here for the first time last week with some friends. As soon as you walk down the stairs and into the restaurant, the beautiful decor greets you and you feel a sense of homeliness as well. Our waiters were so attentive and helpful in accommodating our various dietary requirements. They really went above and beyond their role and were such a pleasure to deal with.

For the food, i cannot fault a single dish i had and neither could my friends. For entree I had the seared scallops which were delicate and delicious. For main, I had the crispy skin barramundi with zucchini done 3 ways. It was a large piece of fish cooked perfectly, and the zucchini was divine too. It was so filling I had to stop myself in order to save room for dessert. For dessert, my friend and i both had the hot chocolate pudding which melted in your mouth and our other friend had the panna cotta with caramelized orange which she loved.

Overall our dining experience was superb. The prices are similar to most city restaurants but the quality, serving size, taste, and atmosphere far outweigh a large number of dining experiences. You will not be disappointed eating here. I can't wait to go back! :)

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank SMBristow
Melbourne
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sensational - a Melbourne Must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

The service is 5 star from the moment you walk in. Fantastic ambiance and beautiful decor. A relaxed sophisticed atmosphere greats customers. The food is sensational. The house made pasta is superb. I had the gnocchi (a must) and lovely seafood special pasta, topped off by melt in your mouth chocolate pudding, accompanied by an '07 Chianti. The prices are the same as most city restuarants and cheaper than anything on Southbank, but the food far excels other overpriced restuarants. I'd give this restuarant 6 stars if I could. Will be defintaley returning and making this a regular

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank G_Bailin
“Cat's whiskers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

A great place for lunch. We have been coming here for many years. See lots of friends and colleagues here at this MElbourne institution. Cat is a wonderful host and always makes everyone feel special. The food is always is great and has that 'home cooked' feel to it? Wine list brilliant.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank AL9999q
“An absolute favourite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

I have been frequenting Caterinas for many years now and it is my first choice for a city lunch. I always take my clients, work colleagues and friends here as I know that every time we go it is a unique and magnificent experience.

There are not many restaurants you can walk into and be greeted as a long lost friend by all the staff and of course Caterina herself. The atmosphere is warm and professional and the food is outstanding. Caterina ensures that the mood is relaxed, and she works closely with her staff to ensure your every need is met.

The menu changes continuously and the staff recite the many daily dishes with great passion (and memory)! The personal touches and excellent service make it a joy to eat here and I always feel like settling in for the rest of the day.

I highly recommend a visit to Caterina's - you will not be disappointed, and like me you will be back many times. Every guest I have ever taken here has been blown away and they have all been back - it's a wonderful place to forget any stresses of the working day. I can't wait for the next excuse to visit!

• Visited August 2012