“Surprisingly authentic burmese food”

Carlton Curry House
Reserve with
Carlton Curry House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #802 of 4,029 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Burmese, Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lygon Street
Description: Indian and burmish restaurant
Melbourne, Australia
“Surprisingly authentic burmese food”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I recently came back from 5 months in Burma/Myanmar, and was very curious to see how the Carlton Curry house would measure up to authentic burmese food, which is pretty unique and not well known in Australia. I was very impressed. I asked for Lah Pe (a classic burmese salad made of pickled tea-leaves) which wasn't on the menu - the owner was very glad I'd mentioned it and made us some straight away! So if you come, ask for Lah Pe.

I came with a group of friends some of whom are vegan and lactose-intollerant, but the owner was totally on top of everyhting, and the vegan-vegetarian menu was extensive (the owner even made my friend a vegan dessert). The curries were all delicious, but be warned that if you order 'spicy' it will be really really spicy! The mango-in-icecream dessert was very good.

All in all, we were very satisfied, and will definitely come back. I recommend this place if you want authentic Burmese food.

Bungendore
“Burmese Difference”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We tried the Burmese food rather than the Indian choices which were more common. The duck curry and burmese dumpling entree were beautiful. The service was good and the people friendly.

Greater London, United Kingdom
“Hot, hot hot!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Excellent restaurant with a much higher standard of food and service that a Brit would think of coming from a "curry house". I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. One word of warning. I'm used to finding Indian restaurants outside the UK comparatively tame in terms of the heat of the food. I ordered the beef vindaloo here and it was, if anything, hotter than I've had elsewhere but still delicious.

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great Indian Food”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Great resturant. Great service. Food is one of the best we had in an Indian resturant. Great host. and all in a more than reasonable price. Try the MOMO (dumpling with chicken), they are great. Just go and enjoy.

2 Thank Liran H
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Thanks Peggy for an excellent night of food. The service was excellent and a fun night had by the group from 25000spins. You made our evening very enjoyable. see you again soon.

• Visited February 2014