“Some good things but overall disappointing”
Review of Caffe e Cucina

Caffe e Cucina
Ranked #137 of 4,582 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chapel Street
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have been to this restaurant a number of times over many years and this visit was disappointing. On this occasion I booked and asked for downstairs which I was told was possible. On arrival the rather arrogant waiter tried to send us upstairs which was very loud and very full. Downstairs there were two spare tables. I asked for one of these and finally after a few requests we were begrudgingly seated at one of these!
A much nicer waiter took our orders and the entree of zucchini flowers and calamari was excellent. The waiter had recommended the gnocchi so I ordered that and was served tasteless and doughy pebbles. I could not eat more than one and sent it back. Another pasta dish was much better.
They asked if I wanted a substitute but by then I had had enough.
They did take the gnocchi dish off the bill without us having to ask them which is a sign of the professionalism you would expect of this calibre of restaurant. Hopefully it will be much better next time.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had a delicious meal here.Linguine and Orecchiette recommended with fresh and plentiful prawns.Service was excellent and low key. I think this compares well in price and quality to many good Italian restaurants in Melbourne.

4  Thank shane w
Reviewed August 13, 2013

fantastic food, service is spot on we have been here a few times and will continue going back, this is one of our favorite places to eat

1  Thank 62val
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Its the restaurant where everyone wants to get into on Chapel. Great food and service. Its a little squishy as far as room is concerned, but well worth it, if you can get in!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

In Chapel Street, you need to wade your way through an infestation of overpriced and franchised frock shops to discover some truly good food. Thankfully, Caffe e Cucina is a family-based restaurant that embraces an authentic Italian approach to the whole experience of dining. Its shopfront is of modest proportions and you can easily miss it, so here's a hint: nonna is often at the bench right behind the front window making the pastas and other delights for the day. And what sensationally good creations they are. You are in for a dining treat that avoids the familiar and faux-Italian food cliches. The attentive, friendly and slightly quirky service makes the experience all the more enjoyable. This place is the real deal. Don't miss it.