“worst dining experience of my life”
Review of Bluetrain

Bluetrain
Ranked #374 of 4,400 Restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southbank
Description: Bluetrain has been "Melbourne's meeting place" for over 20 years, where thousands have passed through their doors and enjoyed a definitively Bluetrain experience. Re-launching in 2013 in a new location with a fresh Aussie fusion menu by new head chef Jay Sinclair and exciting new dining spaces, Bluetrain offers an ideal casual dining location to enjoy a selection of grazing plates, pizzas, pastas, burgers and dishes off the char-grill. The new dedicated bar with its 16 ice cold taps of beer will keep any beer enthusiast satisfied. A huge array of beverages are available ranging from quality spirits, wines and champagnes all meticulously chosen to compliment your dining experience. Skilled bar staff provide a range of traditional cocktails not to mention Bluetrain's original "cityloop" cocktails.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Unfortunately terrible doesn't sum up the experience I had at the Slow Train cafe. I am not one for writing reviews (this is my first and probably my last) but I felt inspired after waiting 2 hours for breakfast, only for it to be served cold and missing half the extras. Hungover and ravished I didn't think there was a meal in the world that I wouldn't devour....Wrong - I could barely swallow my scrambled eggs that I thought would be impossible to ruin, even by the most unaccomplished cook. Unfortunately others were subjected to the same experience and people were walking out left, right and centre - some causing a scene and others simply quietly slipping out in disgust. The toast was that cold, I wouldn't of been surprised if it was cooked the week before, my sister -who asked for eggs benedict was given eggs without the hollandaise ( no heads up, alternative or apology given) and a friend who made a point that she's Celiac was given wheat bread instead of the gluten option. We of course complained and what compensation were we given - a shrug of the shoulders and the statement 'its really busy on a Sunday'..... it was without a doubt the worst dining experience of my life and I certainly won't be returning

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Handy location on the Southbank (we were staying at the Langham). Just wanted a cheap and convenient meal one night. We had pizza which was ok but not great. The restaurant was very busy with several families with young children - one of whom kept climbing all over the chairs and table next to us which was very off-putting (and the parents and staff did nothing to prevent it). Would probably be fine if not quite as busy, and if you want something cheap and cheerful (well, not that cheap but this is Melbourne after all!)

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I met up with some girlfriends recently to have lunch. I ordered the pasta carbonara. It was gluggy and I could not finish it. The place was packed being St Patricks day and it took a while to get your meal. I remember coming here a while ago and the food being phenomenal! Its a shame such a nice venue!!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We ordered the potato gnocchi which as very tasty and the sauce had a bit of a chilli kick to it. YUM. They pan fried the gnocchi first which gave it a bit more texture too. But the serving was a little on the small size for the $24 cost. I think it used to be much better in it's hey day.

They have a standard kids menu and the spag bol was quite nice. The pasta was al dente and the sauce tasty. Unfortunately the kids meal does not come with a drink or a scoop of icecream. But hey, this is the city and the view on the balcony made up for this.

But they are very children friendly and they did give the kids a little quality showbag of little stickers, puzzles and crayons. Out of the many places we have been, Blue Train offers the best kids pack to date!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great day with my wife around Southgate and the Yarra. Dinner at Blue Train is great value, great service and excellent value. Followed by a BBurlesque Show at Speigletent at the Crown