“Enjoyable meal but not on a hot day”
Review of Oriental Teahouse

Oriental Teahouse
Ranked #698 of 4,245 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chapel Street
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went here for lunch today and the first thing we found when we were seated was they seem to lack air conditioning or fans. It was a very hot day in Melbourne and we didn't feel much relief from the heat when we sat down.
We asked for a glass of water to start with and that was room temperature so it was still uncomfortable and hot.
When we ordered other drinks they didn't take too long to be served to us and the waitress was very patient with us whilst we were ordering our meals however her knowledge on the dishes could have been a bit better.
The dishes didn't take too long to come out to us, however they didn't come out in any particular order, just what was ready at the time.
I wouldn't complain about the size of the dishes when they came out however compared to other yum cha restaurants in Melbourne I did feel that they were a bit expensive.
I'd go back there again however I wouldn't go there on a warm day as I was full of sweat when we left. They either need to invest in an air conditioner (or make sure any they might have works properly) or at least get some fans for their customers comfort.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We have been to plenty of yum cha restaurants around Melbourne and this is our favourite. Shark Fin Inn is our second favourite. Shark Fin Inn is more authentic- but if you are a dumpling lover then tea house is better. Tea house is not your normal yum cha restaurant because there are no trolleys coming around- they bring selections on a tray. They have amazing herbal teas like "Happy Tea" and "hayfever tea" which make it fun.
The bill is probably 15% higher than Shark Finn but we think it;s worth it. Great atmosphere without the surliness you can often experience at yum cha. More relaxed less rushing you which yum cha can sometimes feel like
Really nice to kids too

Reviewed March 15, 2013

My Melbourne cousins took me to the Oriental Tea House on Chapel Street for lunch on a very hot Sunday. We were all very hungover and fast and delicious yum cha with a wondrous selection of fine teas was the perfect solution to our woes.
It's fabulous not having to think to much as the food comes to your table and you can pick and choose which variety of dumplings, dim sums, chinese pancakes and other tempting morsels you feel like devouring. And the teas come in hot and cold selections with so many varieties there is certainly something to please every palate, not to mention a variety of alcoholic tea cocktails; although on this occasion we decided to pass.
The food is very cheap but the only problem is that the food being offered comes to your table so fast and so often that greed can get the better of you, so that you end up getting more than you need. Also, once you've finished eating and just wish to sit back and enjoy your tea, every three seconds you have to continue to reject the offerings.
I enjoyed the Oriental Tea House but I would only choose to go with the sole purpose of eating heartily and quickly and not for a more romantic or relaxed dining experience.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I remembered eating here a couple of years ago last time I came to Melbourne and this visit did not disappoint either. I went to lunch with a friend. Food is served yum cha style but the offering is a little different to other yum cha restaurants that I have been to. Food was delicious. Service was good, probably a bit too good. We were wishing we could have some sort of flag on our table that we raised when we didn't want to be offered any more food. I loved the shredded steak, fried pork dumplings, steamed chicken dumplings and of course, the custard tarts for dessert. The only dish I did not enjoy so much was the mushroom parcels as they were chewy. There is a lovely tea menu too.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Dined at the Chapel Street oriental tea house on Saturday night, having been several times before and always found it consistently good. This time we opted for a set dinner banquet which represented good value and took the challenge out of picking from the extensive menu. To say the food arrived with lightening speed would be an understatement. We told the waiter to slow it down as we had time to enjoy it before going on to a film at the Jam Factory. The dumplings of course were delectable, as was the calamari and remainder of the lovely varied dishes. The dessert of a small custard tart and a weird looking egg like custard were different and a bit of an adventure into typical asian desserts. The place was packed as it generally is, but efficient waiters covered all bases with ease. Love it.