“Good family apartment” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 113 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Melbourne
“Good family apartment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I actually live in Melbourne but had to move out of our house for 3 nights during renovations.

I searched for reasonable value 2 bedroom apartment for our family of 4. To my surprise I could find little under $200-250 per night. Melbourne has become very expensive.

Tribeca was a relative good deal- approximately $185 per night for a decent size 2 bedroom apartment. We were on the 10th floor with nice views (not sure if this was an upgrade). The beds were comfortable, useful kitchen, decent size rooms in a reasonable location- a walk or tram ride to town.

If I had to find fault it would be the white vinyl longue and the basin which was difficult to use.

You are in an area with lovely parks, not far from the city. But you are not in the city, so need to weigh up the better value against the walk or cost of tram fare to the city.

By the way there is all day parking on Victoria street on the inside lane, apartment side for only 60 cents per hour, free after 6.30pm. Much cheaper than parking in the apartments.

We had fish and chip down stairs. Not cheap, but nice.

Enjoy Melbourne.

2 Thank CGW

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

You couldn't wish for a better place to stay in Melbourne. The compassion and care shown has been amazing and we have been so grateful at a very worrying time. The two bedroom executive apartment contained everything you could possibly need and the convenience of the IGA supermarket, wine store, coffee shop, pizza shop where you can buy wi-fi internet access (if you don't own an ipad) in the apartment made the stay perfect. The tram is on Victoria Street almost at the door, a walk across the beautiful Fitzroy Gardens to the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre takes the pressure off in case of an emergency. We will be back time and time again. Thank you to all at Tribeca and especially Belinda who has gone above and beyond her duty to make our time easier.

Room Tip: An executive apartment facing south in the summer is good to keep the sun off the windows. However...
2 Thank Margaret S
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed here with a colleague in a 2 bedroom apartment on the 8th floor for 2 nights for a business trip. Spacious apartment, tastefully decorated with small but adequate balcony & 2 chairs & table, with a view over Melbourne. Good sized combined lounge/ dining room with dining table that seats 6. Kitchen well stocked with cutlery & crockery, Washing machine & clothes dryer in a cupboard next to the bathroom. Both bedrooms a good size, only one with a wardrobe & hanging space, however plenty of storage space in drawers. No problems with street noise overnight, as previously described by some reviewers.

IGA supermarket on the ground floor caters for grocery essentials. Also a good coffee shop. Fitzroy gardens 2 minutes walk away & a variety of great restaurants within 10 minutes walking distance. Public transport at the door.

It was really nice to come back in the evenings to the space of an apartment rather than the confines of a hotel room. I seriously don't understand why previous reviewers have criticised this property. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank SydneyToscar
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment with my wife, 2 kids and visiting parents noting was to much trouble I rang just before booking to see if it was ok to get extra bed for the children no problem and when we arrived easy cheek in late cheek out and the receptionist even let us park our cars in there car park for the whole day free of charge so we could go to the momba celebration.
Too be honest me and my wife stay in the city all the time and are rarely completely satisfied but with the price being so reasonable the amazing city views the swimming pool, gym, finish of the apartment, proximity to the city and to top it all off with staff so friendly and honest. I and all my friends and family will be coming back to stay here

Room Tip: 13 floor best views
1 Thank ciaran b
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment for one night on a business trip. Our university booked four rooms in total, all of which were different. I was extremely happy with the size, cleanliness and modern furniture in my apartment. Receptionist was pleasant and informative. An IGA, coffeeshop and pizza cafe are situated at the entrance to the apartments. Smith Street, which was one street over, is full of restaurants. A tram stop is straight opposite the building. I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Rarebreaks
Brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have read the positive reviews of the Tribeca Serviced Apartments in Melbourne and feel sorry to have to now write a relatively negative review but my experience was just not a favourable one. There is no doubt that family and groups wanting to base themselves at this complex during a more lengthy holiday than one night, would find the apartments a well priced alternative to hotels but for a busness traveller, it was a dismal experience. The reception attendant was friendly and welcoming so I have no criticism there at all but it was when I entered the apartment that I almost caught a flight home early even after an exhausting day of meetings. A colleague had stayed there the night before and had given it a poor rating but I decided I would decide for myself. On entering the apartment, it was lovely and cool as the air conditioning had been throughtfully put on. This was a plus. However, I was disappointment to find a 'bunker' type unit, polished concrete floors, stark walls, not a bit of warmth in the way of rugs or soft furnishings. The bedroom was the first room after walking down a longish hall of wasted space, to the right the galley style kitchen, basic but functional and then the stark lounge area.
Every blind was pulled down in the unit so there was no natural light. I soon found out why. Every window in my unit gave the space a fishbowl effect with views from every angle looking straight into my apartment. The small balcony I did venture out on looked directly on to the arcade below with people staring up at me from every turn. No balcony chairs or table to give it a more relaxed effect. Whilst the apartment was clean, it showed signs of wear and tear and needed a paint and some repair. Some cups in the kitchen cupboard were not clean and had tea or coffee marks left inside.
Due to the bunker like effect (odd design and cold concrete minimalistic setting) I could not get reception on my mobile phone and when I did, the calls dropped out and my work email would not load. I felt cut off from the outside and strangely, uncomfortable. I did not venture downstairs to get food from the arcade for two reasons - limited food and travelling as a woman on her own, I did not feel particularly safe to do that later in the evening. The reception closes reasonably early so if anything goes wrong, you are certainly 'on your own'.
The bathroom was an odd design and cheap in decor. The basin had no where at all to put soap for hand washing and when I had a shower, the water strangely would not only go down the shower drain but flowed out into the bathroom itself and down that the drain in the middle of the floor which meant the floor was wet all night. Whilst towels were clean, there was no face washer at all which may not worry others but made me annoyed. The shower rose was small and a tall person would be flat out trying to get under the spray of water at all.
My bedroom was very close to the entrance downstairs to the arcade and people were laughing and talking into the night which felt like they were in the room with me. No sleep after a very early flight that day and long business meeting, made for a rather irritated individual the next day. Not to mention the bed was hard as were the pillows!
I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank rockstar53

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Have stayed at these apartments over the last 8 years and the location is brilliant with the IGA downstairs etc. The rooms are hit and miss with issues of the bathroom designs and the maintenance of all the apartments need to be upgraded, but we have been happy with the lovely girls in the office who have been very helpful over the years and would recommend these to anyone who wants to be very central and at a very reasonable price.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family