“Good, just not great!”

Ranked #54 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Tasmania
“Good, just not great!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Spent 4 nights at the Medina over the Spring Carnival season in Melbourne, 2012. Upsides were 24 hour reception, helpful staff, pool/jacuzzi, onsite parking and good location. Downsides were stuffy/smelly room, our balcony looked straight into lived-in units, only ever 2 towels for 2 girls and very out-dated tv's. Not bad and would stay there again, but will probably try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Stephen M, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear livingsimple

I hope you enjoyed the Melbourne spring racing carnival and it’s great to hear that the Medina team were helpful during your 4 night stay. I’m sorry to read that you felt the rooms were stuffy and just to confirm to travellers that all 1 bedrooms have opening widows and we are more than happy to offer additional towelling. I do hope that you decide to stay with us again and that we can change your mind…

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Blue mountains
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in a studio. Was clean and well maintained staff friendly and helpful. Would stay again as great easy location to city and casino end of town. I would change the towels as they are getting very thin.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Dak3

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. It’s pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found your studio room well maintained and team helpful. We are currently in the process of replacing our towelling and I think you will be impressed on your return.

Hotel Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Having stayed in a Medina Executive hotel in Sydney previously, I was happy when I saw there was one in Melbourne available, for when I was going to be there on a work trip.

On arrival, the place looked lovely and modern, but as soon as I entered the room, I was disappointed. The room was quite tiny, and did not have a laundry as detailed on the room description. The "Kitchen" was more of a kitchenette, a bench with a sink, and stove top against the wall, with a fridge inside what should be a pantry.

There were 2 TV's. 1 in the lounge, and 1 in the bedroom. Both were tiny CRT TV's (maybe 40cm in size) with fuzzy reception.
The lights in the bedroom kept turning off and on, on there own (possible wiring issue? or maybe overheating?).
There was no balcony.
The design of the room, left a gap of approx 6 inches where the curtains could not be closed, allowing all the light from the street lamps to shine in.
The room I had was on the 2nd floor, and I got a lot of street noise all night, in addition to this, I was right next to the elevator, and the "ding" noise the elevator makes when stopping on the floor was quite loud.
I got minimal sleep, but on a plus side, the bed was quite comfortable.
I thought to myself, "I am only here for a week and a half, I will see how I go". On the 2nd day, when I returned to find the rubbish had not been removed, and the bed unmade, I decided that was it. I checked out the following morning. I have now changed to a different hotel for the remainder of my trip.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel if you want a good room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Kelli S
Dear XR8Chic

I am disappointed to read this review and would have loved the opportunity to resolve all your concerns during your stay as we do have a number of difference room outlays and floor levels. I must clarify for future travellers that our one bedroom apartments are a large 48 m2 and that 1 bedrooms on the 2 & 3 floors are without balconies.
If you would like to discuss your stay further please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

I have been staying here for a few weeks as I transition from Sydney to Melbourne. Here's my thoughts.

Rooms: kitchen is reasonably well equipped dishwasher, microwave, fridge and freezer, kettle and toaster. Long stay guests can also request some extra little bits (bowls, more utensils etc). Kitchen is small but all you need. There is a dining table, couch (take the cushions off the bed if it isn't comfy enough) and tv in the main living area. Yes, the tv's aren't flat screen but they are fine (why would you dump a working tv cos it wasn't flat?). There is also an iPod doc.
I'm in a one bedroom, which is large enough, lots of wardrobe space and a desk with Internet connection. The bed is comfy enough but the pillows are pretty grim, not forgiving at all.
The place is cleaned daily and any requests for assistance (for example my safe wouldn't open) were dealt with extremely quickly.
Extras: didn't use the gym but it looked fine. The pool is small but fine to swim laps.
Location: very handy for the city circle tram, southern cross station, the sky bus and the aquarium. A short walk to the main CBS or a five min tram ride to federation square makes it very handy. There are a number of cafes near by, a 711 and a Woolworths within 5 mins. Very handy.

Overall a good choice and value for money for such a central location.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Stephen M, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Garkless

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your several week stay with us and that you feel it’s been a good choice of hotel. Thank you for your feedback regarding our pillows and just to let you know that we do have a number of difference types on hand. Our reception team are more than happy to supply.
Best of luck with your transition to Melbourne

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have just returned from Melbourne, where i was travelling on business. I was attending a conference at the Melbourne Convention Center, and managed to snag a great deal and great location for my accommodation. I stayed 4 nights at the Medina Executive Northbank in a 1 bedroom apartment, and i must say it was perfect. I was located about a 5-10mins easy walk from the entrance of the convention center (depending on how quickly the traffic lights changed!). The hotel was great. The apartment was big enough with a fully self-contained kitchen, combined dining and lounge, a separate study area, a bedroom with a large wardrobe and a substantial bathroom that also contained a washing machine and dryer. The room also had an accessible balcony and i had a reasonable view over the city. I just love the lights :o) The rooms were spotless, and the service was fantastic. The beds were comfy, but i prefer a low pillow and had to use the cushions from the lounge. I generally wear earplugs and so i had no problem with noise, however if you are a light sleeper this may not be perfect for you since you can hear the trains and trams once they start up (this was after i took my earplugs out!) in the morning. Good on Medina for their conservationist attitude but if you like a soaking shower, look elsewhere, since my room had a water saving nozzle. In saying that, i suspect most hotels in Melbourne may have one due to water restrictions. Anyway, all i can say is that i was extremely happy with the Medina Executive and i would definitely stay here again when attending the convention center. I couldn't ask for better value for money and the staff were very friendly and the service was superb. Enjoy your stay at the Medina Executive Northbank.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Fiona S
Dear Fiona S

Thank you for sharing your comments. The Medina team are delighted to hear that we succeeded in making your stay enjoyable. Also thrilled that you feel the service was superb and that you couldn’t have asked for better value. We look forward to your next trip to Melbourne whether for business or leisure.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Great location, but there were a few frustrating things like the 1920's TV's, a shower that was hard to turn around in, the room was badly designed. Ie: power points in wrong positions, fridge cupboard door opened the wrong way. The sofa was so uncomfortable I couldn't sit in it. The price I payed was not worth it. Lift your game Medina

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Moira S
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for business this week and yes location very good, staff attentive, room spacious - however at $195 per night expected something a bit better than the old fashioned tv's in the room. Honestly they look to be about 20 years old.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business