“Good, but noisy and rock-hard bed!”

Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank
Ranked #56 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during a conference at the Melbourne Exhibition and Conference Centre. It is a convenient 5-10 minute walk to the MECC. We had a one bedroom apartment which included a kitchen, and provided the opportunity to self-cater. We found the room to be clean and well serviced, however, like so many other hotels, they failed to live up to their own environmental policy of not changing the towels unless they were placed in the bath - we were happy to reuse ours but found a new set of towels, face washers and bath mats replaced each day. Perhaps the most annoying aspect of this hotel is the noise from the tram, train and roads below, which was very intrusive. This has a lot to do with its location, so if you are bothered by this you may wish to choose a different hotel. I also found the king bed to be extremely hard, and we both had back pain as a result each morning.
Over-all, good value for money and good (albeit noisy) location.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Weary_Traveller888
MedNorth, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

The team at Medina Executive Northbank would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. I have shared your comments with my team and would be happy to discuss further with you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 19, 2011

From the first contact with Kamilla when we made our booking by 'phone until the day we left we were treated with friendliness and courtesy. Nothing was too difficult for any staff member and help was just a query away. The room was great-- not crowded in but overlooking the Yarra and giving us a feeling of spaciousness despite being in a city. It was also spotless and well serviced during our stay. The tram was just outside giving us an easy means of travelling around the city. We arrived somewhat frayed after a long, overnight bus trip to be greeted by Anna who kindly secured our luggage while we ate next door.

Cafe Keyif was a perfect complement to the motel with a wide menu from which every choice we made was enjoyed. All the staff, as well as the owner, were very welcoming and helpful.

We hope to return someday as we only found time to see a fraction of the places on our list. And we will have no hesitation in returning to this apartment complex.

The Medina name was the reason we booked here in the first place-- Sydney's Classic Martin has impressed us before-- and we consider their brand reputation to be well enhanced by this southern establishment.

Room Tip: We found the 11th floor upwards seemed less "closed in" by surrounding buildings.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank chlotilde

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 17, 2011

We chose this hotel because of it's location near the restuarants of Southbank, the Casino & aquarium only a few minutes away. Also there was secure parking on site which was essential for us, at $25 per day.First Impressions was not the most attractive facade (outside) but main foyer was homely & welcoming. Hotel staff were pleasant. We were ofered an upgrade which was nice, the room had kitchen, lounge area with tv, seperate bedroom with King bed & tv, balcony, bathroom & wash machine and dryer which is handy. Air cons in both rooms. Was handy to have option of breakfast included, Keyif staff were lovely when delivering breakfast. Would have been nicer if food was not in styrofoam containers but anyway, food was decent. Menu was good & reasonably priced for room service. Housekeeping could have had more attention to detail, bed not made properly, forgot to replace bathrobe, but did wash dishes. Did not like bathroom, was set up for disabled which is good if you are disabled, had no bath, very basic fittings, no shower cap or other nice bits & pieces you usually get in nice hotels. Not good pressure & yukky sewer smell after shower. Was great to have tram stop pretty much outside with free tram which pretty much takes you past all the main attractions, being tourists made life very easy. Overall was pretty happy though would consider staying again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tara P
MedNorth, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2011

The team at Medina Executive Northbank are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. In relation to the points you have raised, I have addressed your concerns with the housekeeping department to improve our overall guest experience.

I would like to thank you providing this feedback and if you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Execuitve Northbank in the near future.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

This accommodation was chosen due to it's location near Southbank where my husband's conference was being held. Are we glad we did!
We stayed in a one bedroom apartment on the eighth floor that had a balcony, king sized bed, a tv in the lounge and one in the bedrrom, fully equipped kitchen (full size fridge, oven, cook top), dining table and chairs. The bathroom had a shower over the bath and came with shower gel, shampoo and conditioner (great to have these!). There was an air conditioner in the lounge room and another in the bedroom and these would really be needed in Summer as the morning sun came right into this apartment.
The reception staff were always friendly and responded to each question or request with knowledge and efficiency. The cleaning staff did a wonderful job of maintaining the room (even washing our dishes).
Although the location is a little out the centre (corner of Flinders and Spencer streets) this means that you don't get the noise at night like you would in the middle of the action. However, the City Circle tram has a stop right outside the hotel and this is perfect for taking you all around Melbourne (and it's free!).
We'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank klbn
MedNorth, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review Medina Executive Northbank and for the glowing review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and will certainly pass your comments onto my team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

Well appointed hotel handy for the western end of Southbank / eastern Docklands. Not far from Southern Cross station, and on tram line down Clarendon St towards South Melbourne. Its location is its main atttraction for me, as I have had business at that end of town.

The Medina is well appointed with all the services you might expect of such an apartment style hotel. Comfortable bed, multi-channel TV, wifi availability, good hanging and storage space.

I have stayed in 2 rooms - 1005 and 1002. 10005 is better configured, and has a TV in the bedroom as well as the lounge area. 10002 only had 1 TV. The bathroom in 1002 is a bit of a "hike" round a couple of corners from the bedroom (not ensuite). That's only a minor inconvenience.

Breakfast is available from the cafe next door - either eat-in or by room service. A good choice of food.

Ther eis a smallish lap pool, and a well-equipped gym.

One thing for women - they have those on-the-wall low-powered hair dryers! I hate them - they seem to take an age to dry longer hair! Also the bathroom amenities could do with the inclusion of some cotton pads and buds for makeup removal and a small shoe-polishing pad as some rival hotels in the same class of accommodation do. Just a bug-bear if you are travelling on business and forget those things!

There is equipment for making "proper" (ie plunger) coffee, but none available - just instant coffee. A small packet of ground espresso coffee would be appreciated, especially seeing as it's not a particularly well-serviced end of melbourne after hours!

Room Tip: Room 1005 is preferable to 1002 - second TV and bathroom closer to bedroom
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Arncliffegirl
MedNorth, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2011

The team at Medina Executive Northbank are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback. I have passed your comments onto my team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

I also looked at many hotels and decided on the northbank. I was happy I did and would stay again. It had everything we required, it was only a short walk to the casino and southern cross station, a tram stop across the road.
We used the pool and dined at and orderered room service from Cafe Keyif next door, which had both wonderful food and service.
Reception were very friendly and helpful. We dropped our bags off before check in and theye were in our room by the time we returned.
Rooms were great, bed was comfy, could not ask for more facilities in a room. Housekeeping did dishes and changed towels and did a top up - could not fault.
And tv's were really not a big deal, We have have large tv's at home and being a smaller, older tv was really not an issue for us.
If we could fault anything, it would be the shower with a lower water pressure, but I guess that is just what you are used to and would not stop me staying here again. I also did not have an issue with street noise - You just expect to have some level of noise in melbourne, I still had two good nights sleep.
Overall, glad we stayed here and will be back again.
And also we noticed that the hotel had a printer, attached to internet service in reception, so maybe that was updated since last reviewer - A good sign they are listening to their guests :)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank happytimes55
MedNorth, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with this great feedback. I will certainly pass your comments onto my team. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Medina Executive Northbank and I forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

Having researched a number of hotels in Melbourne, I settled on the Medina Executive Northbank on the basis of mostly good reviews and a great price for more than 5 nights in a 1 bed apartment. The hotel exceeded my expectations. The apartment was outstanding: large, comfortable bed, nicely furnished and spotlessly clean. Contrary to other reviews, I had no issues with street noise and room servicing was done daily and to a high standard. I didn't use the washing machine and cooking facilities, but these go well beyond what one would normally expect at this price. Yes, the TVs are outdated by 2011 standards, but not as bad as others have made out. Wireless internet is available at $70 for 7 days (I think) but you can pick up a usb/sim modem for $30 in local stores. I also charged some breakfasts and a dinner to my room from the excellent Cafe Keyif next door. The one disappointment was the "lap pool": from the photos and description, I expected to at least be able to do some gentle exercise but in practise the pool is tiny. I was also disappointed to find no way of printing a boarding pass other than paying for 30 minutes access on the PC in the lobby. However, the hotel staff agreed to print this for me on checking out if I emailed a copy to them. It would be nice to provide this service, or an alternative, as standard. However, these are very minor complaints. This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and, at the price, it is a bargain for a major city!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank nadwocean
MedNorth, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with this positive feedback. Myself and the team at Medina Executive Northbank are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.