“Lunch was great but dinner was terrible”
Review of Nieuw Amsterdam

Nieuw Amsterdam
Ranked #1,720 of 4,296 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: American, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Nieuw Amsterdam NYC style, late-night bar & seasonal eatery in Melbourne. Winner - Best Casual Diner (Timeout 2014) & Best Drinks List (Fairfax Good Food Guide 2015).
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Came for a work lunch back in May. The prices were reasonable for the portion sizes and quality of the food; beautiful brisket sub with chunky fries, neither or which I could finish. Everyone enjoyed their meal.

Decided to take my husband back for dinner. There's a different menu for dinner however the portion sizes had decreased but the prices had increased! Compared to the lunch menu I expected the price to go up but if it hadn't been for dessert we both would've left hungry. Warning: the clam chowder ($21) is not clam chowder - it's miniscule clams still in their shell served in a shallow dish with an incredibly salty white sauce. Awful. I should have known: I asked the waiter what the chowder was like and he answered by telling me that it's not a good dish to share and then quickly changed the subject. If that's the best thing someone has to say about a dish you're in trouble!

The desserts in themselves are worth coming for. The pumpkin doughnuts are simply amazing. Every dessert I've seen there looked amazing. For $12 I can't fault it.

All the cocktails are $19+ (welcome to Melbourne). House white was good ($8).

Service and atmosphere were excellent both times. Arrived at 9:30pm on a Saturday and didn't have to wait for a table, although you can book ahead (no min. persons).

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We went there as a group of 5 and had a fantastic time. Their host, I believe his name is Scotty, is absolutely fantastic and has been very attentive. He gave us fabulous recommendations on cocktails, wine and food.
Our food was amazing, too! The chicken and the pork belly were delicious and the french fries are so crunchy. Lots of flavours!! We also had a red cabbage salad which was good but I think it needs to have a look taken into as it tastes a bit plain.
The whole evening was gorgeous especially with such a great host. Definitely coming back!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

1st time was really happy with it, especially the pork belly chops. However upon my 2nd almost everything has a new, increased price! That was in about a month.
Also, our booking was for 7pm, my friend arrived early and was refused entry upstairs even though it's empty. Not very impressed.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Had the taster menu and it was just stunning. Flavours not to be forgotten. Great atmosphere. Would just say the waiter was a tad too cool in his approach but nothing too dreadful.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We were a party of 9 on a busy Saturday night.
We started with cocktails downstairs, pretty extensive drinks list and well made cocktails.
Upstairs we were seated for dinner. The only negative being the table was half an hour later than our booking so we were pretty hungry and the cocktails had kicked in. The wait was forgiven when the food came out though. Everything was delicious and generous portions. Highlights were the bbq scallops, jerk chicken, coleslaw, baked eggplant (not normally a lover of veto dishes but this was fantastic) and both desserts, the berry split and pumpkin donuts were awesome.
Service was spot on, attentive but not invasive.
We had a great time.