“Cheap but Cheerful”

Hotel UniLodge Melbourne on Flinders
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Melbourne
Hotel UniLodge Melbourne on Flinders
Ranked #124 of 153 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed August 17, 2010

In Dec 2009, I travelled to Melbourne for the first time to attend a group Christmas party and also to see Green Day at Rod Laver Arena. So my partner and I made a weekend of it, and a whole bunch of my friends also made the trip from Sydney.

We wanted to be as central to the CBD as we could for as little as possible. I dont do hostels, so this was a good choice. The comfort of a hotel at a reasonable price.

The staff were quite helpful, as we landed very early on Saturday morning, after coming straight from the Sydney Green Day concert and having no sleep. It was hours before check in time, but staff were very helpful and accomodating and allowed us to take our room then and there. We were so grateful and instantly had a shower and went to bed lol.

The rooms were very clean, modern too. Comfortable. No complaints at all. The location was brilliant, right on Flinders and a short walk to most places around the CBD, close to the trains and trams. Perfect for our action packed weekend. The point of the weekend was to have as much fun for as cheap as possible, and we nailed it. Unilodge was more than enough for our needs that weekend, better than I expected.

Would do it again, for sure.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 13, 2010

Stayed over the new year period for a week in a studio apartment. Clean, good accommodation but a but run down - could do with a paint job - but overall very clean.
Only downside was the staff - who were un helpful, not friendly, and really just didnt care at all. Had a few problems with them not passing on phone messages untill the day we left, and our transfer to the airport called the morning of checkout and they never passed it on to say they would be running late - they were very unfriendly and rude whenever we walked into/out of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TOURISTNZ
Reviewed January 16, 2010

Booked four nights for the Grand Prix in March 2008. The location cannot be beat, right near Flinders Station and Federation Square.

We booked a twin studio room which was a good size. It had two single beds, a couch and a mini-kitchen with sink and cooking facilities (although we tended to eat out so we didn't use them). The room was clean and modern, very comfortable at the end of the day to return to. One downside was the air-conditioner. Our stay was during a heat wave and unfortunately the airconditioner was inadequate. Apart from that everything else was great.

The staff were fine, to be honest I didn't have much interaction with them. Overall I found this hotel to be comfortable in a location that can't be beat.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank CCtraveller81
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I stayed here for a long weekend with some friends. Another person in our group made the booking, and when we got there i was really happy we were staying there. The location is fantastic, just by the trams and across the road from flinders st station. It's also super near to swanston st and fed square. the staff were good, for the little interaction we had with them; there was a keycard entry for late at night. we had a two bedroom apt which was spacious and clean, and we werent there to spend all our holiday in the hotel room so it was fine... bottom line i would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I stayed here for a conference at Victoria Library. The swanston outlet was fully booked, so I made do with the Flinders. One downer was reception. I reached the hotel at around 10pm Australian time, and saw that the doors were locked. This confused me -- how was I going to check in? I had just come off an 8 hour flight and it was around 8C (winter), so I wasn't in the best of moods. After wandering up and down a bit I decided to try the intercom. This was evidently a good idea, since I got to speak to the reception about my situation (they only open the reception doors etc till 9pm apparently) and I was able to check in.

When I got to my room, I found a puddle of water in the kitchen area. I was slightly put off but too tired to care. Anyway, the puddle dried up and didn't recur for the rest of my stay. Outside of that, it was very enjoyable. I felt that the room was huge for the price -- a double bed, an ensuite, a couch, a kitchen area, a table and chair for using the laptop/ writing and a desk with 2 chairs to sit around in. The bed was very comfortable and clean, which worked against me because I spent most of the time sleeping! I had a slightly wonky shower where the water flow was erratic but this wasn't a huge bother. I should've asked for a new one, but didn't. Nevertheless, if the same occurs to others, I advise asking for a new one -- particularly if you intend to stay there long term!

It would've been a lot more worth the money had I been staying with a friend, but I knew the price was for 2 people: I had no choice as I had booked it rather late. Outside of that, the location is fantastic and it was fairly clean, with good housekeeping. There is an Indian restaurant attached too, which I eyed for the duration of my stay but somehow never ended up eating at.

I still would recommend this place to people looking for budget accomodation though, because I feel that it is value for money.

PS if you are staying right in front of the entrance to the floor like I was, it can get slightly noisy in the mornings but it's not that bad.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2009

The location of this hotel is fantastic - just across from Flinders St Station and Federation Square. It seems basically to be student accommodation though so the common facilities are very studenty. The rooms too (we were in a standard double) are pretty basic student fare but perfectly adequate. The decor isn't inspiring but it's functional. Our TV didn't work, but I managed to fix it myself after reception didn't really show much interest. There's a mini kitchen in the room where you can make tea and coffee and use a microwave and I think there was a hotplate. The bathroom's a bit cramped, but for the price it's perfectly acceptable provided you go there not expecting anything luxurious at all.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jwjg
Reviewed June 1, 2009

The location is great I have to admit, it's right opposite the Flinders St train station, and tram stops right in front. We checked in very late, or should I say very early, 1:30 am to be exact. Fortunately my wife and I had stated that we required late check-in, and stated the exact time as well. Fortunately they assigned their night guard to wait for us to check-in. Else we might have to sleep on the streets. There are plenty of 24-hour convenience stores around Flinders, Elizabeth and Swanston street. Mackers is just around the corner and operates 24-hours with free wi-fi too!
The night guard who is of South Asian descent was friendly and very courteous. This is a huge contrast compared to their daytime staffs who were often rude and indifferent to the guests.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple