“excellent location, good value, recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Oaks on Market

Oaks on Market
Ranked #92 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Gold Coast, Australia
“excellent location, good value, recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights in a studio apartment. We booked online with lastminute.com, definately the recommended way to book, as when I rung the hotel the price was at least $20 more per night.
Reception was beautiful, the staff were friendly enough, and the location was fantastic. Only a short stroll to the shops on Collins Street, Flinders Street, and across the bridge to the Crown Entertainment Complex and restaurants on Southbank. Trams are a very short stroll away in all directions and there always seemed to be taxis out the front of the hotel, though be cautious of taxi drivers: they will practically refuse to drive you if its not far.
As for the rooms in the hotel, I was expecting much newer as would have been expected from the photographs of the rooms. It had been refurbished, but the bathroom had older fittings and the cupboards were obviously older. Furthermore, there was a large crack in the bathroom sink, which I think should have been fixed due to the fact that it could potentially be very unhygenic. The bed was a mock king, with 2 singles attached, which I never find impressive, and in this case the crack was very uncomfortable and obvious. The kitchenette was more like a complete kitchen within the studio apartment, with a stove and all necessary dinnerware, pots etc. The apartment was large compared to other studio apartments we'd stayed in. The view was also amazing, however a high apartment with a view was requested.
I would recommend this hotel due to its location, the space in the apartment, and the views.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank naynay9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

A nice room, large and I loved having a bath rather than just a shower. As usual the fitness centre was poorly equipped but the pool was fabulous. Because it is in the business end of Collins st the area was "dead" by 6pm. So you have to walk a few blocks to find a restaurant,cafe or bar.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank sheilafromdownunder
Bunbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

This is the second time we have stayed here, I love the location in the Business district end of town as after 5 and on the weekend its so quiet. Loads of cafes for really cheap breakfast a 10 minute walk to The Crown or Bourke St Mall. Tram stop less than a 100m away in 2 direction either Flinders St or Collins St, taxi rank straight over the road and 2 street to Spencer St Station for Trains.
Rooms are generous size good bedding, bathroom very clean and functional good loung and kitchenette area. TV and stereo provided but no dvd player if you have a little one!! We chose the 1 bed room unit with a fold out couch for our 7 year old and for 8 nights it's fine any longer it may be an issue.

Our biggest issue is the no opening windows in most of the new hotels we stay in, The Oaks is no different, the lobby, stairwells, lifts and hallways are warm and lack "fresh air"
Air con was good and very adjustable for the room, Gym was well equipped and a good size pool area with steam room ( the pool area is hot being in the basement and in its own room but you get used to it - we swam nearly every day and only once was it a bit crowded.
Good parking under the hotel and seems to be enough bays for everyone.
We have never tried the restaurant here but everyone says it's fine, its just that within 10 minutes you can eat food from any country in the world with the amazing array of cafes and restaurants in all the lanes.
The only time we struggled for breakfast was Sunday morning as most of the cafes nearby cater for business hours (not weekends) bu there are two 711 shops within 100m that have coffee and bread etc, toaster in the room and you're away.

We love the location but would like architects to understand fresh air is not an extra it's a necessity - there are plenty of safety window systems that can fit hotels I just don't know why they don't install them!! other than that AAA+++ from us.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank travelm858
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights with a toddler and the grandparents. We booked a 2-bedroom and enjoyed our stay. It was very spacious for 5 of us (not as small as I thought it would be) and a great view of the river and the casino opposite. Most importantly, it was clean as I have a young child. The utensils in the kitchenette was also clean, and I could safely cook simple baby meals for my child. It almost felt like home and there was space for the restless toddler to run around :)
It was walkable distance to Collins (so grandma could do shopping), shopping Arcades and Federation Sq. There is also a convenience store just one block away round the corner. One thing though is that it is very quiet at night, but still safe. If you don't mind that (like me with a young child, and whose bedtime is 8.30pm), it's nice quiet and comfortable enough for you to not mind staying indoors with the family and just watch TV, chit-chat etc (isn't that what a family hol is about?) Overall, recommended and will stay there again when visiting Melbourne.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank YoungMummy
perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

Check-in was fast and accurate
Rooms are OK, although for an apartment hotel I'd have expected laundry facilities in the rooms (they have them, but in the basement)
My room was near the lifts- so a little noisy, but not too bad
Gym is small, but pretty good
Pool is around 20m, was OK, but quite crowded when I was there- more a fun pool, than a swimming one, and the water was quite murky
One odd thing- I wanted some room service at 1:30pm. I called down to room service, and no one answered. I called reception, and the guy said he'd send someone, and then put down the phone. I called back, and he told me that someone was on their way to change my towels. When I explained I wanted food, he laughed and said that the restaurant closed at 1:15, so I was out of luck.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank keithinperth
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2011

Arrived early afternoon and check in was fairly ordinary. Receptionist checked me in whilst dealing with someone on the telephone but it was all done fairly efficiently.

Room was comfortable with a nice beds, couch, table and large bathroom. Flat screen tv was adjacent to the bed but could be viewed from anywhere in the room. Small kitchen with fridge, sink, hotplate and cupboards was also located in the room. We were located on level 2 with no view other than building next door.

Used the pool on both days that we were there but the card swipe was not working on the second day so everyone had to go around through the back door. Gym was adequate and was able to watch tv whilst exercising. Don't both using the lift from the lower floor level unless you want to stand there for 10 minutes - walk up one flight of stairs - car park level and much better access.

Most staff were a little indifferent about service and did not go out of their way to assist. We wanted to find the ferry we could catch to go to Scienceworks but receptionist telling me that there was none. I assured here there was and asked her to check website and of course she found the details - however instead of trying to assist me with further information she just gave me the phone number. I then asked her for a map and that was just all too much effort....

Overall recommend the location - but skip breakfast at the hotel and walk around the corner into Collins St and try Morgans 201 - lovely staff and coffee and yummy fruit toast for $6.00 and all comes with a smile. I can do without grumpy people first thing in the morning so highly recommend the lovely staff at 201.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank millsie58
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2010

We're stayed at Oaks on Market for a few times now (mostly during the Australian tennis Open) and each stay had been a positive experience. Reception staff can be a bit hit and miss though, but overall we would stay here again if the price is right.

If you're going to the tennis the location is perfect as it's just a short walk away from the free tram to Melbourne Park. It's also only a short walk across the river from Crown Casino. It's located on the 'business' side of the CBD (mostly office buildings around) so it's fairly quiet at night and also on weekends.

Can't fault the room itself, good size with the essentials.

Just a note though, for the few times we stayed there we've been placed on higher floors and the river view is pretty nice. The city view isn't too bad either (see photos) BUT on one occasion our friend was also staying in this hotel and he was placed on the lower floors (around 6th I think) and the difference is dramatic. His room view was of the building next floor (quite close too) so there wasn't much natural light.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple