“Good and clean for the family”
Review of Oaks on Market

Oaks on Market
Ranked #90 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights with a toddler and the grandparents. We booked a 2-bedroom and enjoyed our stay. It was very spacious for 5 of us (not as small as I thought it would be) and a great view of the river and the casino opposite. Most importantly, it was clean as I have a young child. The utensils in the kitchenette was also clean, and I could safely cook simple baby meals for my child. It almost felt like home and there was space for the restless toddler to run around :)
It was walkable distance to Collins (so grandma could do shopping), shopping Arcades and Federation Sq. There is also a convenience store just one block away round the corner. One thing though is that it is very quiet at night, but still safe. If you don't mind that (like me with a young child, and whose bedtime is 8.30pm), it's nice quiet and comfortable enough for you to not mind staying indoors with the family and just watch TV, chit-chat etc (isn't that what a family hol is about?) Overall, recommended and will stay there again when visiting Melbourne.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank YoungMummy

Reviewed January 12, 2011

Check-in was fast and accurate
Rooms are OK, although for an apartment hotel I'd have expected laundry facilities in the rooms (they have them, but in the basement)
My room was near the lifts- so a little noisy, but not too bad
Gym is small, but pretty good
Pool is around 20m, was OK, but quite crowded when I was there- more a fun pool, than a swimming one, and the water was quite murky
One odd thing- I wanted some room service at 1:30pm. I called down to room service, and no one answered. I called reception, and the guy said he'd send someone, and then put down the phone. I called back, and he told me that someone was on their way to change my towels. When I explained I wanted food, he laughed and said that the restaurant closed at 1:15, so I was out of luck.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank keithinperth
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Arrived early afternoon and check in was fairly ordinary. Receptionist checked me in whilst dealing with someone on the telephone but it was all done fairly efficiently.

Room was comfortable with a nice beds, couch, table and large bathroom. Flat screen tv was adjacent to the bed but could be viewed from anywhere in the room. Small kitchen with fridge, sink, hotplate and cupboards was also located in the room. We were located on level 2 with no view other than building next door.

Used the pool on both days that we were there but the card swipe was not working on the second day so everyone had to go around through the back door. Gym was adequate and was able to watch tv whilst exercising. Don't both using the lift from the lower floor level unless you want to stand there for 10 minutes - walk up one flight of stairs - car park level and much better access.

Most staff were a little indifferent about service and did not go out of their way to assist. We wanted to find the ferry we could catch to go to Scienceworks but receptionist telling me that there was none. I assured here there was and asked her to check website and of course she found the details - however instead of trying to assist me with further information she just gave me the phone number. I then asked her for a map and that was just all too much effort....

Overall recommend the location - but skip breakfast at the hotel and walk around the corner into Collins St and try Morgans 201 - lovely staff and coffee and yummy fruit toast for $6.00 and all comes with a smile. I can do without grumpy people first thing in the morning so highly recommend the lovely staff at 201.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank millsie58
Reviewed December 4, 2010

We're stayed at Oaks on Market for a few times now (mostly during the Australian tennis Open) and each stay had been a positive experience. Reception staff can be a bit hit and miss though, but overall we would stay here again if the price is right.

If you're going to the tennis the location is perfect as it's just a short walk away from the free tram to Melbourne Park. It's also only a short walk across the river from Crown Casino. It's located on the 'business' side of the CBD (mostly office buildings around) so it's fairly quiet at night and also on weekends.

Can't fault the room itself, good size with the essentials.

Just a note though, for the few times we stayed there we've been placed on higher floors and the river view is pretty nice. The city view isn't too bad either (see photos) BUT on one occasion our friend was also staying in this hotel and he was placed on the lower floors (around 6th I think) and the difference is dramatic. His room view was of the building next floor (quite close too) so there wasn't much natural light.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katmky
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Stayed 2 nights in a 2 bdrm unit with my husband and friend. The bedrooms had no windows so the doors were frosted glass which left us little privacy. Everything was clean and comfortable otherwise. Our room was not made up after the first night which as it was a hotel we expected but maybe because it was also an apartment we were not meant to get service. They did however bring us clean towels. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GreenCardWedding
Reviewed November 29, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel three times. First 2 times were OK but .Hotel is now getting run down and dirty....couches were filthy and service was less than you would expect. Am heading to Melbourne again next month and will be staying at alternative hotel. I am a regular traveller and would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank LeumasG
Reviewed November 23, 2010

The Oaks on Market stinks - literally! The entry area smells, some of the lifts really stink and the rooms are not that flash either.

Oaks has tried to "tart up" this old building and has failed miserably. They have certainly spent some money on the place but their interior designer should be shot.

Oaks on Market is "cheap and cheerful" ... correction, cheap. At $200 per night it is modestly priced but I will be looking elsewhere on my next trip to MEL.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business