We booked the Oaks On Market for a three night stay in a 1 bedroom apartment as we were travelling with a disabled person and it was one of the few hotels around that seemed to do decent disabled facilities. Factoring into our decision was the reasonable cost of the apartment when booked through the Entertainment Book with the discount. My friend and I stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment on Floor 4. Location of the hotel was great for our visit to the Good Food and Wine show and the shopping and restaurants that we planned to do. Check-in was smooth and reception staff were polite and helpful when we niggled them about things like extra pillows (there were three in the apartment to cover to single beds) and blankets - see later note about air-conditioning!. The staff were also obliging and patient when it came to assisting our disabled travel companion in and out via the electronic wheelchair lifter machine - there was no ramp in or out. So, in general, service was fine as was the cleanliness of the apartment and the kitchen supplies (although we were stumped as to why we got heaps of glasses and cups but only two of everything else!). The one bedroom apartment we were in had an over large living room, which could have done with an extra single chair or couch in it. Two of us well padded ladies sharing the only small couch in the room was a bit squishy. An arm chair could have solved this problem and filled up all the empty space. The kitchen area was at the end of the long living space with a decent table and chair setting. Behind the kitchen partition was the 'bedroom'. Unlike other apartments where the bedroom was a proper enclosed bedroom this was just a space partitioned off with no door. It really did feel like these spaces had been designed for something else and then renovated into awkward long apartment spaces. On the upside beds were comfy and there was cupboard space, bedside lights and room for luggage. The bathroom, like the lounge room was over large with a big empty space at the end of it. It seemed like once upon a time there may have been a washing machine or something that had since been taken out leaving everything else up one end of the bathroom and nothing filling the space. This seemed like a wasted area as the sink area could have been larger for our bathroom things. The bathroom had a decent sized shower/bath set up but, as with all taps in the apartment, it took ages before we could get hot water. Seemed like such a waste of water to run the water tap for so long before you could get hot water for a shower or washing up. The heating/airconditioning system didn't work properly so our apartment was 19-20 degrees for our entire stay and never got any higher. Bit annoying. Other slightly annoying things
1. there was no manual/information guide in the room at all for the hotel - the usual folder that most hotels have about laundry/tv channels/ room service/ pool and gym info was nowhere to be found
2. Our unit was next to the lifts and wrapped around the space behind the lift wells. At night we didn't have too much noise but at 6.30am when business travellers all went for breakfast and off to meetings we heard EVERY lift up and down.So whilst we didn't hear noise from other apartments we were woken early every morning by lift noise. Next time I would ask for a different location. My disabled travel companions on another floor complained of a constant whistling sound that seemed to emit in the middle of the night from an electronic box outside their room.
So all in all it wasn't fabulous but wasn't the worst place I have ever stayed in. Would I stay there again? Probably if I was going back to something at the Convention Centre but other than that I would consider trying another Apartment Hotel or return to Mantra on Russell.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oaks on Market is a centrally located Melbourne accommodation, offering easy access to Melbourne's attractions: shopping, theatres, dining and entertainment, as well as proximity to the legal and financial precincts. Oaks On Market comprises 280 luxuriously appointed Studio, 1 and 2 bedroom fully self-contained apartments. All rooms have brand new 32-inch flat screen TVs, sofas and contemporary artwork. Some rooms have views over the Yarra River and guests can also enjoy individual stereo systems, climate control, access to the indoor heated lap pool, fully equipped gym, spa and sauna. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Oaks on Market reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oaks On Market Melbourne
- Oaks On Market Hotel Melbourne