“A cosy, clean and quiet hotel at a reasonable price.”
Review of Hotel Sophia

Hotel Sophia
Ranked #152 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Thumbs up for cleanliness! Room is spacious with clean comfortable beds. Bathroom is spotless. It looked like it was newly renovated. The room rate is reasonable. Staff is polite and helpful. The place is quiet and you can be assured of a good night sleep. Hotel Sophia is very near to tram stops including the free City Circle Tram for tourists. Moreover, it is also within walking distance to the Queen Victoria Market.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed November 14, 2010

My partner and I recently stayed a week at this hotel. Whilst we hardly spent any time during the day in our room, we were impressed with the service during the time we spent at the hotel. Breakfast was well appreciated and the food was just what we needed to start our busy day. Location was great and getting to and fro from places was a breeze with the trams just a stones throw away. It was really the last day that we were there that we experienced just how customer focused the team at Hotel Sophia were, we had a late flight back to Sydney, and so left our luggage in their office. During our last day of experiencing Melbourne, the weather wasnt kind at all, and it rained, actually it poured. We were sopping wet, and the staff kindly allowed us to shower and get comfortable and dry before departing back to sydney. This was so greatly appreciated. Thanks again team for your care.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2010

I booked 2 nights via a well known last minute website (not to name it...). on the website there was a claim the hotel was a 4* and boutique type hotel. On arrival i soon discovered there was nothing boutique or 4* about the place (grotty dressing gown in a closet and pictures of Med places on the walls do not constitute 4* and 'boutique' label in my views...). Anyway rooms are very small, TV, safe and shower did not work properly.
Staff tried to resolve the issue but limited in what they could do. it would have been ok but for $149 for one night and i was expecting value for money. It felt very much like a very clean Etap hotel (for those who travel in Europe you'll know what i mean...).
Location isn't too bad but the main road is very noisy (and double glazing very poor...). The hotel isn't well sound-proofed either and you can hear other residents from all sides and upstairs plus late and drunk people coming back late... overall very disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Not suitable for anyone! No desk, no chair, no towel rails or hooks.
Bed takes up whole room, can't even walk around the bed.
To top it off a party in adjacent courtyard kicked off at 1am to 3am with complete disregard to anyone in the area during a work night.
Never stay there again - horrible.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2010

These guys baffle me really, to me they run a clean hotel, it is quiet and in a good location.

But they do not seem to be there for service -

1. I rang at last minute to book a room for two nights. I was told that all details were on the internet and to book via that, even though I would be arriving in less than an hour.
2. I asked about a taxi on the Friday evening, I was advised that they could ring, but it would be better if I tried to hail one myself.
3. I asked about shuttle services to the airport, they said they could not ring, nor look up the internet, it would be better to get a taxi.
It seemed that anytime I required just a little something from them, it was all too much of an effort.

I got back around 8.30 on a Saturday night, and wanted a meal and a drink. Kitchen was closed and bar was closing however, the bar attendant was so helpful - she got me a drink, ensured I got a meal, sat me in the most comfy of spots and so on.....

If you are a traveller who does not know Melbourne, or does not have their own brochures, you will find nothing at all at the Hotel Sofia to assist you. They are obviously stating the obvious that they are not there to be a travel service, a concierge, or anything at all regarding information about the city and so on.

Otherwise I was happy with the room, the size, the cleanliness.

But then again, the venetian blind in the room needed replacing, the hand towel and bath mat were not replaced on the second day, the cleaning bags of sheets and towels were still outside the lift lobby on the second floor at 5.00pm.

Breakfast was good, all you wanted or did not want, which ever suited you. But then today when I checked by CC statement they had added an additional $9 to my account. I rang and queried and immediately it was stated that the charge should not have been there, so they would take it off.

I dunno, I can't make up my mind. Location was excellent, for me anyway!

If you want a good clean comfortable room with no frills then this is definitely the place for you. If you want something with a special touch, then go elsewhere.

Would I return, possibly, but would probably look elsewhere first.

PS They need to have a clock or an alarm clock or something in the room also ...

Dunno, I am wondering about this review as much as you are - yes or no, I dunno, I suppose you can't really go wrong.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Stayed few nights from Paris including free breakfast and super clean rooms.
It was good service and for price was great value.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2010

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for one night and it was pathetic. I had made a booking for a standard room with a queen sized bed and we were given a tiny room with two separate single beds right next door to a shared bathroom used by guests in 'single' rooms. When we informed staff that there must have been a mistake they refused to give us another room and said it was all that they had left - despite me having made the booking a month earlier! Even my invoice clearly showed queen bed. The room was not cheap. With few options we ended up staying in the room given and we were awoken by lots of noise and the smell of smoke throughout the night. When we informed staff the following morning about the smoke and noise they said that the guests in the single rooms probably used the shared bathroom for smoking as there was no smoke detector in there (?!) GREAT!!! We are currently in dispute with them and we have not been given a refund. Infact all we were offered was a free upgrade on our next stay there (we would not even consider it). Do not consider staying here! The staff are poorly trained and we were repeatedly told that they could not handle our complaint as the manager was on holiday (hmmm...)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple