“value for money!”
Review of Hotel Sophia

Hotel Sophia
Ranked #153 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed April 21, 2010

I got stranded in Melbourne "between jobs" and stumbled across Hotel Sophia which turned out to be a strike of luck!
Central, affordable and top quality!
The staff did everything they could to help and I stayed in a spotless room for 3 nights.
I have no complains about anything from my stay at Hotel Sophia and will gladly recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed April 17, 2010

The hotel is right in the middle of Melbourne CBD. Room is newly refurbished so everything is new, very clean, bathroom is clean too. Ten and coffee in room, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, safe, everything you need is in your room. LCD digital TV. Bathroom is reasonably large as well.

Bed linen is not the cheap one either, they were probably 500 thread count, at least 350 count for sure.

Some people here complain about noise. We stayed on the first floor, and it was noisy if we open the window. We kept double glass window closed, and the noise was gone.

The only thing which maybe a problem is the size of the room. There is simply no free space in the room. If we had checked luggage, we would need to open it in front of the bathroom door, and we would not be able to go to the bathroom. This room is a lot smaller than typical hotel rooms in Australia, more like the size of hotels in Europe.

Hot breakfast is included in room rate. Bread / toast, breakfast cereal, bacon, eggs. No sausages.

One last thing. They require ID to check in, meaning drivers license or passport. Very strange. I asked about this, and they said it is for security. If you are not comfortable with this, then don't book this hotel.

Considering I booked my room for AUD$99 via Hotel Club, everything was clean, 500 thread count beddings, hot breakfast included, what else can I ask for?

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Azzsyd
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I found this hotel extremely overpriced - EXREMELY - for what was a tiny room and a basic bathroom in which the shower recess leaked onto the floor. Reception was frequently unattended, and ringing the bell did little good. Breakfast was very basic. This is a very rough end of town and even though I was on the top floor the noise from drunks in the street on the Saturday night was appalling. The "nearby parking" is quite a hike away. Wirelss internet terribly slow and often disconnected. I would NOT stay here again.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I stayed here in late Feb 2010 for two nights. They were non-consecutive so I got two different rooms. Had I not pre-paid I wouldn't have stayed the second night. Both times I took shared bathroom rooms.
The first room was basically the size of the bed, no furniture but clean. Bathroom was close, but basic - YHA style. The hotel is on a busy main road and the noise was coming in like the window was wide open. I went and checked it and realised it doesn't ever close. It's a sash window but without the wood that allows you to close it tight - there is always a gap which lets noise in. Had a very poor night's sleep as a result. Got up the next morning and could no longer get into the bathroom. Tried to ring reception but the phone was dead - after some messing round with wires at the back I got through to reception who brought a new key card but no explanation. I could still get in my room with the old card so the keycard wasn't damaged. No hot water for tea at breakfast (they had a water heater but hadn't turned it on in time).
Second night - much nicer room with cupboard and safe. However bathroom was not the nearest one - I had to roam the hotel to find it. Same problem with the window not closing - had to wear earplugs to get to sleep. Went down for breakfast - hot water but no tea bags!
One of my friends also booked into this hotel because I had and had a similar experience.
Only stay here if you need to be in this area of the city, are on a tight budget and have earplugs.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2010

The rooms were very clean and the beds comfortable, although the rooms varied in size a little and some did not have a lot of space around the great king size bed. As the hotel is on the smaller size there was not a large staff and things were a little slow but this was not a problem and the staff were helpful and pleasant. The breakfast was help yourself and was plentiful and tasty, juice, cereal, 2 types of egg bacon and pancakes, toast etc. We would be happy to recommend Hotel Sophia and would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 11, 2010

We enjoyed our 3 night stay in late October. The hotel was very convenient as it was within less than 5 min. walk to La Trobe St. to catch the free tram, as well as within walking distance to Southern Cross station for the shuttle to the airport. It's a small hotel but our room and the bathroom was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The cleaning staff did a great job cleaning making up and restocking the room each day. Robes, coffee, tea, and a mini fridge were also provided. A great full hot breakfast was provided each morning where eggs, bacon, cereal, toast, pancakes, coffee, tea, etc. were available. After such a hearty breakfast, we only needed a light lunch which saved us some cash. This may be the best value around as we paid less than $100 per night. When researching this hotel, some of the other reviews mentioned the noisy traffic. We had a room on the 3rd floor towards the front of the hotel, but aside from the rare rumbling of a big truck, we didn't notice much of the regular traffic noise. The only minor downside was that internet acess cost extra, but the State Library which has free wifi is a short free tram ride away. All in all a great hotel offering excellent value.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank unclephil12
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Hotel Sophia is strategically located in the city, a walking distance to anywhere! Though the room was quite small, it was very clean and well equipped with basic neccessaties; towels, soap, shampoo, hot shower, water heater, tv, telephone, small refrigerator, iron, hair dryer (essential for women!) and etc. The breakfast was okay. Defenitely value for money!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple