“Great Value, Top Location, Nice people.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Sophia

Hotel Sophia
Ranked #147 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Value, Top Location, Nice people.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

I did nor expect much so I was grateful for staying here as it more than met my needs. Apart from the downer of strict 3pm check ins and no lounge space to hang out on a cold winter morning (which helped turn my cold into a flu), this place was in a great location and the room was great.

My double bed room was extremely clean, if a little worn here and there. Firm bed, pillows with extra blanket in the cupboard. Huge bathroom with rails if you are a senior or need support. The double glass sliding glass windows cut down the noise from the street. Heater was wonderful during the coldest Melbourne winter day. TV screen big although my controls were a bit wobbly but worked fine after fiddling around.

Was great having the fridge, kettle and coffee machine as well. I'm not joking about getting the flu. I seem to have odd luck travelling. In London I sprained my ankle and in Melbourne my flue was awful and at one point I called an ambulance as I was choking to death. Guy downstairs helpful and I want to thank them. They are nice people. Yes, the reviews about thin staff are correct but if you have patience and don't act like like a reality tv star they always help you out. I cant relate to the negative reviews here, because for the price I think they are a great deal.

Location is the big issue for me. 6 minute walk to Southern Cross Station, where the airport Skybu leaves and arrives every 10 minutes 24/7. 5 minute walk to Bourke and Collins Streets with trams that take you to all the inner city sights. Near Victoria Markets, either walk or catch the tram from Williams Street, A line if cheap places to eat next door. Honestly, I'm not 25, so the location was wonderful.

Tips for staff? Find good coffee shops to recommend to guests on a map on the wall. Go to the tourism office and get some brochures for guests, A tram map will help new visitors. All this is useful when you have small staff and little time to chat to guests and builds rapport. Also, make deals with cafes, offer coffee vouchers for guests which will bring business to local places and that way what you don't offer which saves on the room cost, can still be offered to guests.

I will stay here again for sure. The negative criticism by some people here is way over the top for what this place is offering. The staff are really nice so there is no need to be a rude idiot. If you are on a budget, this place is excellent, safe, clean and does the job.

Room Tip: There is a blanket in the cupboard. The cleaners are average for washing cups and focus on bed and b...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Carl G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wynyard
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed here in February and I could not complain about this accommodation perfect room perfect area perfect service will be staying here again and again meets all my needs for a great holiday the restaurant was great meals enjoyable staff and the prices were nearly too cheap to be true and having breakfast included makes it more fantastic, fresh towels every morning and rooms cleaned well worth the money you pay thank you staff at hotel Sophia

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Rachaelcheala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Had a great four nights at this hotel. Room was very clean and comfortable, room service was above and beyond what was expected (the after dinner mints left with the towels in the morning were delightful). WiFi connection was a mere $1 per hour, breakfast included, and the hotel laundry free of charge for guests (pack some laundry liquid). Etihad Stadium just across the road, and close to all amenities. Can't wait for my annual footy trip next year.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

I don't know what people expect of budget hotels; I want clean, cheap and convenient. Hotel Sophia ticks these boxes. The room was fine. I have paid more for smaller and less clean (New York many years ago). Service was fine too and the location was brilliant. The only fly in the ointment was the big construction project going on next door. With the level of construction going on, it's hard to find a hotel where construction noise is absent. They start work at 7am even on Saturdays. But if your are a heavy sleeper or like an early start, no worries. The hotel is convenient to public transport and many attractions are close enough to walk. The breakfast offerings were adequate and food was topped up and dishes cleared away efficiently. Did not try room service food and there are many eating places nearby offering a wide variety of dishes.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ballina, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Although the hotel itself has pretty snug rooms, the rooms are clean and kept that way for the duration, the staff are wonderful - helpful, responsive, warm. If you consider the price you pay for a room, with a king sized bed, in the city near all public transport, with free breakfast (basic food but it is free), a small pub with hot food if you don't want to venture out and lovely pub staff, this is a place you'd be happy to revisit, and I will no doubt.

Do not expect a salubrious venue, set your expectations realistically and you'll be happy for the value for money this hotel provides. And remember Location, Location, Location! Fabulous restaurants within walking distance too! And you can walk to Etihad Stadium with ease!

Room Tip: There is alot of construction going on around the hotel at the moment so a room at the back of the h...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SaltwaterSchelly
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Firstly, they took the $150 from our credit card a day before we even arrived and when questioned they his shrugged and said it was just what they did. Then the room was dirty, the bed was unbearably uncomfortable with springs protruding from it.. we asked for some help and they just stared at me blankly and told me that they had cleaned the sheets! Because apparently that means that it becomes more comfortable. I demanded some blankets to put over the springs and we decided right there and then that we wouldn't stay another night of our 4 night booking. The bathroom was ridiculously small and at 7am we were woken to incredibly loud construction noises. we opened our window to find that our entire view was of a massive construction site! we were not pre-warned about this either. Before we were due to check out we decided to atleast try the breakfast but fearing death, we decided not to! the eggs were swimming in thick oil, there was no meat at all and the milk for the cereal was full of lumps. No staff member cared at all and when we told them all of this at checkout they did nothing and said no refund. We had to book another hotel and cop the $440 loss for the absolute hell that is hotel sophia. PLEASE PLEASE do not go there!!!

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank sianclayton

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Stayed in many hotels and cheeper places around the world so first the rooms are clean, beds are comfortable and bathroom area is good. Do NOT order room service food it is the cheapest quality food at Crown Casino prices. If you don't need to talk to anybody this if fine for good location. Rudest staff ever encountered. Tried to do room service at 830 on a Sunday I asked for a do not disturb sign as the room did not have one sure enough I got a blank face and never got one. My booking came with breakfast and the lady asked me if It did I said I think so, then she told me It didn't. I didn't argue as the other reviews clearly pointed out to avoid the breakfast here. Pretty sure that was a good call

• Stayed June 2014