“PLEASANT STAY AT HOTEL SOPHIA MELBOURNE”
Review of Hotel Sophia

Hotel Sophia
Ranked #151 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at above hotel for 2 days and the quality of service, location and ambiance is very good. We recommend and happy to return if possible.

b.raghavendrachar
nagarbhavi Bangalore

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bevinahal R

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I wish I had read the reviews before I had booked and paid! I asked for a quiet room and the lady at the desk said she had put me at the back of the hotel, I though oh great! Unfortunately when I was laying in bed that night I realised that the street at the back of the hotel had trucks constantly going up and down it (I think collecting rubbish - very loud!). The windows were so thin it sounded as if the traffic was in my room, I even tried putting a towel up over the window to block out some more noise. I'm not a light sleeper, this was noisy! The walls were quite thin and I was woken at about 3am by people coming back to their room. The fire alarm went off at 6.30 am, I went down the stairs quickly and they said it was a false alarm. No apology and the alarm sounded for a further ten minutes. The breakfast that was included was awful - bake beans and eggs that had been sitting there for who knows how long. The bed was comfortable enough and the room was tidy but they are the only positives.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank eee777
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Best value for money in Melbourne. 1 block easy walk from main train and airport bus, 1 block to free city circle tram. Go the extra bit with room amenities and good basic breakfast.
Meals in adjoining pub excellent and once again great value. Only minus is the strict 2:00 check in time. Will not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris L
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed here with my teenage daughter, as we had to be somewhere in the CBD early in the morning and we live quite far away. We know this is budget! We paid $91 for a twin room with breakfast! I was worried about the room being claustrophobic, but it was surprisingly comfortable! The beds were so comfortable that I didn't want to get up! We had dinner in the pub down stairs, really old authentic pub, comfortable and cheap! Both meals $8.50 with a glass of wine! This place is quite noisy, but it is in the CBD. I think you could pay twice as much in Melbourne hotels for the same comfort. I wouldn't choose this for a big annual holiday, but for a night or 2, this is a bargain!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2013

You will find reviews here from people who have had unpleasant experiences financially with this establishment. Be warned. The negative reviews are based on fact. The establishment will indeed charge your card $150 upon arrival, and you may find you have to fight to get it back. And there is a history of their system double or even quadruple booking rooms and charging you for it, and good luck trying to get your money back. We are in the process of trying to work out which government department is responsible for policing such deceptive financial dealings by accommodation providers.

Room Tip: You need to ask for a room not facing the major truck route of Kings Street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank steven h
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to Hotel Sophia. We choose to stay here because it's excellent value for money in a CBD location. We love the hot breakfasts, coffee machine in our room and the fluffy towels. The rooms are comfortable and very clean with good facilities. The staff are friendly and it's no trouble bringing our 2 young children. Also it's totally smoke free which is a plus.

Room Tip: The Superior rooms are great!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank runscotty
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Very nice hotel. Room was clean and well appointed. Coffee machine was a nice touch! Breakfast was basic but sufficient. Strange area but not too hazardous after dark. Have heard that the rooms are noisy but the rom i had was fine. Can't comment on other rooms. All in all a very nice stay and at a good price. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: I had a corner room so I had two windows. Not sure if it really matters. The windows were double gla...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business