“Financial deception”
Review of Hotel Sophia

Hotel Sophia
Ranked #148 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed May 23, 2013

You will find reviews here from people who have had unpleasant experiences financially with this establishment. Be warned. The negative reviews are based on fact. The establishment will indeed charge your card $150 upon arrival, and you may find you have to fight to get it back. And there is a history of their system double or even quadruple booking rooms and charging you for it, and good luck trying to get your money back. We are in the process of trying to work out which government department is responsible for policing such deceptive financial dealings by accommodation providers.

Room Tip: You need to ask for a room not facing the major truck route of Kings Street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank steven h
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sophia

Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to Hotel Sophia. We choose to stay here because it's excellent value for money in a CBD location. We love the hot breakfasts, coffee machine in our room and the fluffy towels. The rooms are comfortable and very clean with good facilities. The staff are friendly and it's no trouble bringing our 2 young children. Also it's totally smoke free which is a plus.

Room Tip: The Superior rooms are great!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank runscotty
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Very nice hotel. Room was clean and well appointed. Coffee machine was a nice touch! Breakfast was basic but sufficient. Strange area but not too hazardous after dark. Have heard that the rooms are noisy but the rom i had was fine. Can't comment on other rooms. All in all a very nice stay and at a good price. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: I had a corner room so I had two windows. Not sure if it really matters. The windows were double gla...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I wanted to like this place. The location is good, price ($95) OK. But the two biggies for me, noise and bed comfort, were bad.

This place will not check you in until 2pm. You can sit and wait, or go for a walk, but you are not getting processed until 2pm, full stop. At least the "lobby" isn't one of those misleading grand affairs.. the reception counter is almost in the street! It's an old property, which is evident from the pictures, complete with cramped hallways and creaky floors, but it's all been re-furbed adequately, it's clean, most things work OK. Rooms over the back alleyway don't get any street noise BUT given the internal noise, you might want street noise to help muffle it.

The walls are amazing, they seem to amplify noise from the hallway, and other rooms. You'd almost think the people were in your room. I got to hear what my neighbours thought of The New Avengers, and even heard when one of them pushed a pill out of a blister pack. There was also a rapid banging sound which I think was water pipe hammer. If anyone used water, off it went. I had read the reviews here and had brought new earplugs, which really helped.

Bed: disgraceful. My room (109) had a large bed, and a single. The large bed looked a bit like a shallow wading pool, with rims and it sank down to a low point in the middle, like a shallow dish. It was hard, and saggy, quite an acheivement. I can usually lie across saggy large beds, and use the 2-bed join in the middle as lumbar support, but this bed was narrower than most large beds, and the ridge was way too high for this stunt. So I spent the night perambulating around the bed, looking for areas where I could lie a bit flat. (Edges were almost useable for this). Pillows were pretty ordinary.

My room was quite roomy, very high ceiling which appeared to be under the eaves so no one above me. The window opened too, nice. TV, ye gods. The original 5 channels, plus Foxtel poverty pack, and strangely, GO. No chair to watch TV, i used the single bed. There were 2 dining chairs, and a tiny desk/table, which could be moved. No crockery or cutlery beyond mugs and glasses and teaspoons. There was a coffee machine, I think it was a pod machine. No toaster or water boiler. Cube shaped bar fridge, iced up, but very quiet. Bathrobes were a surprise in this place, seemed out of place.

I saw a few rooms that were being serviced, and they really varied as to layout, and size. Mine was pretty big, some were tiny.

Breakfast: not bad. Heaps of fried eggs, also scrambled eggs, and hash browns. a fun toaster that took your bread for a ride. Cereal, juices, plunger coffee, cheese slices. Not bad at all.

Location: very good indeed. A block from Spencer St with 2 supermarkets, and in King St some IGA, heaps of restaurants, La Trobe St very close by, could see Etihad stadium and the train station, easy walk to Vic Markets.

stay again? No!

Room Tip: 109 is spacious-ish, and has no street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ant100
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Came to Melbourne to see a theatre performance with my family. Initially booked Hotel Sophia because it is located close to the Skybus & Southern Cross Station. Found it to be a pleasant experience and am looking forward to staying again on our next Melbourne visit. The staff were very nice and we loved the coffee machine in our room.

Room Tip: enjoyed staying in a corner room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank alyssum78
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My first impression was not good - I arrived at 1pm and while I know check in is from 2pm, often you can get in to your room earlier but I was unceremoniously sent away and told to come back at 2. When I returned at 2:30pm there was no-one on reception and a 'back in 5 minutes' sign - a sign that appeared regularly the two nights I stayed here even though reception is supposed to be 24/7.

A word to the wise - take earplugs - I could hear my neighbour's phone conversation and what he was watching on TV, there was also a pump going off every 10 minutes the whole time I was there. On the plus side, the room was spacious with a queen size bed and a single bed. The bed was comfortable and the heating effective. There was a chocolate on each pillow, a coffee machine and a comfy dressing gown. The location was great being one block from Etihad Stadium, Southern Cross Station, Coles and factory outlets. South Wharf DFO is a 20 minute walk away and the free City Circle tram (red rattler) is half a block away.

Breakfast was included in the room rate (I paid $91 for the first night and $95 for the second night). Hot food is available from 7am but on the second morning I arrived at 7:30am to find that the only hot food left was scrambled egg. There was only one person working in the kitchen. Perhaps this is how they keep the prices down by limiting the number of staff. My room was not serviced at all while I was there.

My last impression was not so good as the one and only lift was out of service at check out time. Fortunately I was only on the first floor and only had a small suitcase to cart down the stairs.

Overall some good and some not so good but the price was right and as long as you don't have high expectations of a Melbourne CBD hotel then this is the place for you.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Christine J
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed in Sophie Hotel for 3 nights and would recommend this and will return again ourselves. The hotel was clean and comfortable, nice fluffy towels, bath robes to use, big tv with lots of channels. The hot breakfast was a big plus, first day was no bacon, but second day there was yum. My only wish would be as I am gluten intolerant, for the option of gluten free bread for toast, easily fixed really as I just brought my own.
Very close to transport with the free bus and free tram running at the corner. Southern cross station just a 5 min walk also Coles for any groceries.
Staff were friendly and courteous.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family