New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Sophia

Hotel Sophia
Ranked #144 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“great price, comfortable rooms & good btreakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Came to Melbourne to see a theatre performance with my family. Initially booked Hotel Sophia because it is located close to the Skybus & Southern Cross Station. Found it to be a pleasant experience and am looking forward to staying again on our next Melbourne visit. The staff were very nice and we loved the coffee machine in our room.

Room Tip: enjoyed staying in a corner room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank alyssum78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

My first impression was not good - I arrived at 1pm and while I know check in is from 2pm, often you can get in to your room earlier but I was unceremoniously sent away and told to come back at 2. When I returned at 2:30pm there was no-one on reception and a 'back in 5 minutes' sign - a sign that appeared regularly the two nights I stayed here even though reception is supposed to be 24/7.

A word to the wise - take earplugs - I could hear my neighbour's phone conversation and what he was watching on TV, there was also a pump going off every 10 minutes the whole time I was there. On the plus side, the room was spacious with a queen size bed and a single bed. The bed was comfortable and the heating effective. There was a chocolate on each pillow, a coffee machine and a comfy dressing gown. The location was great being one block from Etihad Stadium, Southern Cross Station, Coles and factory outlets. South Wharf DFO is a 20 minute walk away and the free City Circle tram (red rattler) is half a block away.

Breakfast was included in the room rate (I paid $91 for the first night and $95 for the second night). Hot food is available from 7am but on the second morning I arrived at 7:30am to find that the only hot food left was scrambled egg. There was only one person working in the kitchen. Perhaps this is how they keep the prices down by limiting the number of staff. My room was not serviced at all while I was there.

My last impression was not so good as the one and only lift was out of service at check out time. Fortunately I was only on the first floor and only had a small suitcase to cart down the stairs.

Overall some good and some not so good but the price was right and as long as you don't have high expectations of a Melbourne CBD hotel then this is the place for you.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Christine J
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Sophie Hotel for 3 nights and would recommend this and will return again ourselves. The hotel was clean and comfortable, nice fluffy towels, bath robes to use, big tv with lots of channels. The hot breakfast was a big plus, first day was no bacon, but second day there was yum. My only wish would be as I am gluten intolerant, for the option of gluten free bread for toast, easily fixed really as I just brought my own.
Very close to transport with the free bus and free tram running at the corner. Southern cross station just a 5 min walk also Coles for any groceries.
Staff were friendly and courteous.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Reemur
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I've just returned from a two-night stay (my second visit) at this hotel and I would recommend it to anyone wanting budget accommodation in Melbourne. At $90 per night, it was extremely good value for money. Close to all sorts of transport and easy walking distance to Southern Cross Station.

The room was spotlessly clean. There were plenty of towels, plunger coffee, 'pod' coffee, tea and biscuits. The room was a bit cramped between the foot of the bed and the wall, but the only reason for going there was to close the blind - so not really a problem at all. I could hear mumblings from the room next door, but nothing troubling. The only noise from outside was emergency vehicles - normal traffic noise couldn't be heard.

The king size bed was very comfortable, and for those that don't know, most hotel king size beds are two beds joined together. The linen was clean and crisp and there was an abundance of pillows.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The only downside for me was that the cooked buffet breakfast didn't include bacon - which should really be a staple of any cooked breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank a_recent_visitor_59
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Found Hotel Sophia in Melbourne and it turned out to be a great little find indeed. Located a handy 5 mins stroll from Spencer Street Station which is the drop off point for the Airport Skybus. Arrived at the Hotel around 1pm to find that check in was not available till 2pm. Staff offered to secure our luggage so we went for a walk to Victoria St Markets and spent a couple of hours there. On our return, check in went smoothly and we were given 2 key cards for our 3rd floor room which we found to be a little on the small side but with everything we needed including a fridge, a safe and aircon. The Bathroom had nice toiletries and towels and a pair of nice bath robes. The bed was comfortable with good pillows and the room was quiet. The included breakfast (served in the ground floor dining room) was fresh and plentiful each morning with good variety. Hotel Sophia is handy to Bourke St and the No 86 Tram to the Melbourne Shopping precinct, theatres, museums etc but blessed with fine weather we actually enjoyed the walk on 2 of our 3 mornings. A Pub adjoins the Hotel and serves reasonably priced drinks and food for those looking for an end of day drink and/or a meal. On checkout morning we again took advantage of the luggage holding facility and enjoyed our last day in Melbourne before picking our bags up about 2.30pm and strolling down to take our return ride to the Airport on Skybus. For location, service, facilities and price we would thoroughly recommend Hotel Sophia.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are away from potential noise from the Pub.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KeepMoving_10
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

**** Do not believe the negative comments ****

We stayed at Hotel Sophia for 4 nights over Easter. We chose this hotel as we were on a budget and other hotels were booked.

The hotel is a short walk from Southern Cross Station and we arrived there around 10.30pm. We were promptly checked in without any fuss.

Our room was of a decent size and very clean. The TV and air con worked without any problems. The bathroom was spotless with a nice pressure shower. We had a king size bed which was very comfortable as well.

As part of the deal we had a free buffet breakfast which was very tasty. They had bacon, eggs (two types), cheese, cereals, mini muffins, plunger coffee and more. I had bacon, egg and cheese sandwhiches polished off with some muffins and coffee! Delicious!

There is also a bar attached to the hotel which has some very good meal and drink specials daily. When we were there they had a generous burger with chips and a glass of beer all for $8! That's about as cheap as it gets in Melbourne CBD.

The only down side was the hotel was operating on a skeleton crew over Easter and so room service was limited. We only had our sheets changed once in the 3 days we stayed. They did however inform us of this and we could have requested towels etc, but we chose not to.

Overall we were very happy with our stay at Hotel Sophia and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in 215
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rats123
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights in April. It's clean, quiet and close to the main attractions of the city. Prices are good for what you get and I would go back. Can walk to markets and some great cafes.

• Stayed April 2013