“Disappointing.”

Ranked #147 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

30+ days out we requested (and had confirmed) a twin share and got told ON THE DAY that they could not supply it. Then refused to provide blankets so that we could mock up a bed on the floor. The taps didn't even have the right hot-and-cold tap heads. The coffee plungers at breakfast were faulty (and ended up spraying coffee over the table) and most of the 'hot food' was just above room temperature. Overall, I can't recommend anyone to stay there despite its location and closeness to other facilities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Andrew C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sunshine Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

The fantastic price is what caught my eye but never dreamt it would such great value. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous. The room was exceptionally nice and clean. The breakfast was beyond my expectations. It's such a great location with easy access to everything. We will DEFINITELY be staying again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Clean, modern, excellent price, great location, and high quality modern furnishings. Close to everything. Will definitely stay here again and share this with my friends. The room was very quiet considering being on a busy road. The windows were unique and helped keep the room peaceful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisamazing
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

The initial reason we chose this hotel was because the rooms were cheap but once we arrived Hotel Sophia exceeded our expectations. We stayed for 5 nights whilst meeting up with relatives visiting from Malaysia. The free breakfast was marvellous. The room facilities were great. The staff were friendly and helpful. In fact, everything was beyond expectation!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Close to Southern Cross Bus Station and a decent breakfast. Very small room but all we were doing there was sleeping (comfy king bed so good for that). Hotel staff very friendly and even held onto our luggage when we walked around town for the day. The breakfast was better then we expected probably just needed a pot of coffee but that's just me. Good selection of tea and coffee in the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Spannng
Maroochydore, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I had to book at short notice a room in the city for 3 nights to visit an elderly uncle in hospital. Hotel Sophia came to our rescue and offered a wonderfully convenient location, newly refurbished bathroom and spotless room with very comfortable bed. A big surprise was the generous complimentary buffet breakfast each morning. The staff were very polite and helpful and the lady in charge of the breakfast room was delightful.

I will stay at Hotel Sophia again and confidently recommend it to others. Peter F.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
South East Queenland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I don't like to think of myself as a snob, but the more time goes on it seems inevitable; I am a snob!
I needed somewhere for a 4 night stay while I attended a training opportunity in Melbourne. I didn't want anything super expensive, but I needed to be accessible to the city as we had some late nights scheduled. I was worried on my way to the hotel, worrying because I hadn't paid a fortune - what was I going to get?!

I was pleasantly surprised! It was fantastic!

The room was a little on the 'small' side; none the less I was only sleeping there, I wasn't throwing a cocktail party inside! It had a newly renovated bathroom, it was super clean and the staff were lovely! Especially the little elder lady in the breakfast room for Monday morning mayhem!

The hotel offers breakfast as part of your fee, which is lovely! I have paid $25 for a much lower standard of buffet breakfast in top Accommodation! Another bonus is the $8 dinner options includes a lovely meal and a drink! Bargain central!
I loved the fact there was a washing machine available too - another free option!

Definately stay here! It was fantastic! I'd recommend room 106 to anyone and I will be staying again!

Thank you Hotel Sophia! I will be visiting again