“Good for the price”

City Centre Budget Hotel
Ranked #118 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This hotel was about half the price of anything else available so didn't expect much.
It's ideal if you don't plan on spending much time in your room. Very well located and about 20 minute walk from Skybus terminal.
Never had a problem using the shared bathrooms as plenty available.
Small room, good tv. Free constant wifi.
Overall excellent value but don't expect a lot.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mark b

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed here in October 2013 for 4 nights. Inner city location was great, close to cafes, shops, tram stop.
Rooms - clean & functional. We were on the top floor and my mother struggled with the stairs as there is no lift, but it didn't really bother me. The TV was great.
Shared unisex bathrooms - I was travelling with my mother and we had no probs - there was never anyone else in the bathrooms when we used them (I would have a shower late at night, always plenty of hot water & pressure)
Rooftop kitchen - didn't use it. It looked a bit spooky but clean. The rooftop terrace was pretty cool and we spent an hour or so there just relaxing.
Free wifi was great, no issues.
In my opinion, a great basic cheap place to stay. I think I paid about $80/night so really can't complain. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fairy1084
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights with a friend in December.

For the price we paid for this hotel, I'm very impressed. Reception staff were helpful from check-in to check-out. The rooms were small but perfectly adequate and clean. Although the rooms are not en-suite there are plenty of bathrooms which were cleaned regularly.

Other useful facilities include a kitchen and laundry, as well as a roof top social area.

It was a little noisy at night, but we were there in the run up to christmas when locals were out partying after finishing work for the year/Christmas. Plus, what do you expect for a city centre location!

Great location and price for a city centre hotel! Thanks.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Melbourne for a week and found this little gem of a hotel through Lonely Planet.

After staying in hostel dorms for a couple of weeks I was looking forward to a room to myself. It was a lovely large double, comfy bed, with TV as a bonus and not too expensive for the time I was there (8th-15th). Was hoping to go back when I'm in Melbourne for 4 days over New Year but they've hiked their prices up for the holidays. Shame.

The hotel's facilities are clean and the hotel is situated perfectly in the CBD, close to coffee shops, bars and restaurants. Despite its central location, the place is pretty quiet. Staff are helpful and friendly.

Free Wi-fi is really good too and there are even free computers available if you need to do something that warrants a machine bigger than a laptop or mobile.

The only downside were the cleaning staff. Most places I have stayed in tend to start cleaning after about 10am when people who are leaving check out. But in this hotel they start at about 8am and are really noisy. I was awakened nearly every morning with them doing things outside my room in the hallway.

Otherwise a great place to stay in Melbourne.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lee H
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Happy was clean and tidy cheap and good for a short trip.. Was doing lots of travelling so only used the room at night.. Only downside was a shared bathroom but high speed broadband was free and there was a lovely little cafe across the road for breakfast

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Irishlad88
Reviewed November 19, 2013

we stayed here for 5 nights and had few complaints. It was close to the city, clean and comfortable. The room was great for 2 singles. There was a large fridge...could've been plugged in before we arrived to chill it, bit it was a minor thing. The bathrooms were plentiful and clean. Reception was helpful. We never used the kitchen but it looked a little small for so many rooms. The rooftop area was great to chill on but maybe there should be a curfew on parties and people moving furniture around up there...our room was directly underneath and it was noisy on a couple of nights!! We enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel over the weekend preceding the Melbourne Cup (i.e. when all the hotels in Melbourne were bursting at the seams). We arrived late on the Thursday night and the 'after hours check' in procedure went off without a hitch which was great. The room was very basic but serviceable and at the price we weren't expecting more. It would have been nice to get fresh coffee cups rather than having to rinse them out in the bathroom but that was a minor issue. The communal bathrooms were ok - absolutely basic to the point where there are no shelves or hooks next to the basins but they were reasonably clean. For a hotel that was at maximum occupancy we were surprised that we were not really aware of any other guests - no noise, no encounters in the bathrooms... and if we had left after 3 nights that would have been the impression we took away with us.

Unfortunately on our last night everything turned to custard. My daughter encountered a naked guest roaming the bathrooms and had to avoid 2 of the toilets which were absolutely filthy with excrement and vomit. In the middle of the night we were woken by a loud and extended argument coming from a room nearby and then for much of the night there seemed to be a party going on in one of the rooms. We were feeling quite sleep-deprived by the morning! We checked out early and were unable to discuss the issue with anyone as reception was unattended when we left.

I do want to make it clear that we had 3 nights which were absolutely fine and the issues we had were not with the hotel and staff themselves but rather with fellow guests. So it really is the luck of the draw as to what kind of experience you have but I would think twice about booking into a 'shared bathroom' situation again as a female (or 2 females) travelling alone. The front desk is unmanned overnight and there is no 'hotel security' on site to handle issues with problem guests.

Room Tip: As others have mentioned, an 'air well' facing room close to the bathrooms is ideal.