“Comfortable apartment ”

The Sebel Residences Melbourne Docklands
Ranked #31 of 142 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
“Comfortable apartment ”
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

The apartment we stayed in was comfortable and clean but the balcony had cigarette butts all over it. The building we stayed it was nice and quiet, but quite a confusing task to try and find where to check in then being directed to an entirely different building to get to your accommodation.
All that being said we would stay here again.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Jane S
Antony_Roberts-1, Front Office Manager at The Sebel Residences Melbourne Docklands, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hi Jane S,

Thank you for your review and feedback on your recent stay. I am glad that the apartment was comfortable and clean, and sincerely apologise about the oversight with the balcony - I assure you this is not the norm, and I will be following this up personally with our Executive Housekeeper.

I note your comments on the location of the accommodation, and on your next stay I would advise booking a Sebel apartment to avoid being located in a separate building. Alternatively any of our reception team would be happy to assist and escort you to a Grand Mercure apartment located in another building.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,
Antony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Spent 30 mins wandering around looking for what I thought would be a single apartment building. Even google maps gave up. No I wasn't told on confirmation that I needed to go to the sebel; no there were no signs that were visible to me as I traipsed with my suitcase around and around.

Finally I phoned and was told to go to the sebel. The apartment I was given was way back where I started my adventure. Different building altogether. My colleague (I booked the same place thinking we'd at least be in the same building) is somewhere else entirely. Thank goodness the lovely girl at reception took me all the way to my apartment because I would never have found it.

My fun didn't stop there though. No there is no customised letter which told me how things work; the bathroom fan is a very loud machine which turns on with the light but not off. Then I had to tune the TV myself because it wasn't working. My third call to "reception" back at the sebel was to try to locate a missing ironing board.

Beware. This place is not as it seems on the website. My apartment was noisy - right next to the trains and traffic - the blinds don't cover the entire window so the lights shine through. I definitely won't be back and would not recommend.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Aussiehrh
Antony_Roberts-1, Front Office Manager at The Sebel Residences Melbourne Docklands, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Hi Aussiehrh,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Grand Mercure Docklands, I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this visit.

I was shocked to read your review, as many of the areas you refer to - are areas that have been addressed and remedies are already in place.

With regards to your booking confirmation, I assure you that I have personally checked each and every type of confirmation that either we send directly, or is sent on our behalf by our third party vendors - and they do all indeed inform guests to check in at The Sebel reception. There is also signage for the Grand Mercure at the entry to The Sebel. Furthermore the address of the Sebel Docklands is both searchable on Google maps, and we also have a "place page" in operation to enhance users ability to search "Sebel Docklands" and be immediately provided with the correct address and directions.

While we do operate across multiple buildings, the furthest walk from door to door is less than 300 meters - I am glad to read that our receptionist was able to assist you personally to your apartment.

All guests are provided with a customised letter for the building they are staying in, I apologise if there was some confusion around this upon check in - but I can confidently report that they do exist, as I have personally written them.

I do apologise if you found your apartment noisy, this is contrary to the normal feedback we receive at The Grand Mercure. Given that the docklands is a relatively quite area in the evenings with little traffic - and that we are a relatively fair distance from the nearest train station, I was saddened to read that you did not have a quiet nights sleep.

With regards to the missing ironing board, I will follow up directly with our Executive Housekeeper to make sure that oversights like this do not happen again in the future. I am glad the receptionist on duty was able to resolve this for you.

Aussiehrh, again I do sincerely apologise that the stay was not up to your expectations. It is our focus and aim at The Grand Mercure to provide a high level of customer service, and while some areas of your review are not entirely accurate - I do hope that with our efforts to improve the shortfalls you did experience, that you will afford us another opportunity in the future to provide you with the usually high levels of service that we pride ourselves on.

Southland
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I thought I had booked a great space for my husband and I to share a family weekend with my adult daughter. Granted there is plenty of space in the two bedroom apartment that we stayed in and a separate toilet away from the bathroom and it was warm BUT this is not the usual Mercure standard and our apartment was nothing like the photos. Not what we are used to when using our Accor membership. There were no bedheads on the beds, the coffee table was badly stained, there weren't enough mugs in the kitchen, the fan in the bathroom never switched off and the main light in the bathroom wasn't working. A bit of nice artwork on the wall would have helped as would a really good lick of paint. It would also benefit from some sort of compendium recommending the local amenities and what to do as it seems Melbourne is trying to promote this area of the city. The IAG supermarket outside the apartment was really handy and there are some handy Docklands restaurants but pick carefully. Tram 35 runs from just outside the apartment blocks to the city and is free. Not sure if I would stay here again if I could find comparable 2 bed accommodation for a similar price.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the dockland harbour area - not sure if you need to pay more for this or not
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Antony_Roberts-1, Front Office Manager at The Sebel Residences Melbourne Docklands, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Hi NZTraveller20,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write about your recent stay at our hotel. I was disappointed to read that you found elements of the accommodation tired. We do have a continual preventative maintenance program in operation at the hotel, however I will personally be reviewing the apartment you have stayed in to assess any need to make upgrades sooner.

Should you wish to provide any further feedback on your stay directly, please feel free to contact me directly at aroberts@sebeldocklands.com.au. It would be my pleasure to discuss any concerns directly, and be of personal assistance should you be staying in the Docklands area again in the near future.

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed over the Easter weekend in a 2 bedroom service apartment on the 22nd level, apartment was alright, though a bit dated. Great views of the harbour and city, tram stop going into the city is a minute walk away. Close to harbour town shopping centre.

Stayed April 2014
Hi Natalie L,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write about your recent stay at our hotel. We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Mercure Apartments Docklands. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

Thank you for your thoughts once again - and we hope to see you back with us soon.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We booked as we always stay Accor and couldn't get into the hotel in St Kilda we originally chose. It was a nice change to stay in Docklands. After our taxi couldn't find the apartments I decided to get our and ask for directions, as it turned out we were directly outside the central reception area which wasn't signed for Mercure. That out the way, the lady on reception was lovely and took us to the next building to our apartment. It was tastefully decorated and had spectacular views. It is very handy to cafes, restaurants and a shopping centre but would be great to have got some information when we checked in as to what was nearby. We also found out, when we had checked out, that there is a free city circle tram nearby.

Room Tip: Reception is at the Sebel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Antony_Roberts-1, Front Office Manager at The Sebel Residences Melbourne Docklands, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Bakers60,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay - I am glad that once you had arrived, you were well looked after and enjoyed the facilities.

While we do add into all guest confirmations that check in is in The Sebel lobby, we are also currently working on increasing signage at the front of the hotel to ensure the Grand Mercure brand is also well displayed. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by this. Thank you for your comments on providing more information to guests on check in also, I am very pleased to let you know that we have now introduced a welcome letter to all guests which is individually catered to the building you are staying in. They have a wealth of information in them - I'd love to get your feedback on them next time you stay.

Thank you again for your comments, and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Mugla, Turkey
Reviewed July 20, 2014

If you stay in Melbourne for more than a few days, this apartment is the right choice. We stayed there for a couple of weeks with our kids and their baby in a three-bedroom apartment.
The harbour view is excellent. There is a wide Promenade way alongside the harbour and many cafes, restaurants, parks and a shopping centre as well are in walking distances from the apartment.
It is very easy to reach the city centre by free city circle tram.
The consierge and room servicing is very well organized by Sebel Hotel administration and the staff is very helpful.

Room Tip: Try to choose a harbour-view apartment. The other side is facing the railroad and could be a bit noi...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Antony_Roberts-1, Front Office Manager at The Sebel Residences Melbourne Docklands, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Yavus M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, we sincerely appreciate your feedback.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Mercure Apartments Docklands. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Many thanks once again for your valued comments, and I hope to see you back very soon.