“Not really a hotel!”

The Sebel Residences Melbourne Docklands
Ranked #28 of 153 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed in a number of "serviced apartments" recently in Australia - and they all had reception, concierge and other hotel facilities including housekeeping. This Mercure development is not like that! You check in at a reception desk and are then given directions to an apartment in any one of 4 or 5 residential tower blocks in the surrounding area. The apartments are comfortable enough - but there are no "hotel comforts" available like room service, tea and coffee supplies or any housekeeping. Beds are not made and towels are not changed - this really is self catering accommodation and it was not what I was expecting from Mercure at all! Would not recommend if you are looking for genuinely serviced apartments.

Room Tip: All apartments look out onto building sites which start work early - keep blinds closed!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank quin-i-bog

Reviewed July 25, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Nick S, Manager at The Sebel Residences Melbourne Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Reviewed July 16, 2013

As we were travelling as a party of 5, we decided a VIP Luxury 3 bedroom apartment would suit our needs. After viewing photos on website everything looked great. If they hadn't taken our money up front we would have left. The apartments are old and tired the hallways smell the furniture is odds and ends, from the photos a beautiful modern bathroom with bath is shown, no bath and tiny bathrooms. In photos bedrooms look of generous size, if you want your suit case in your room be prepared to jump over it to get into bed, the doona is wrapped in sheets, no air con in bedrooms. In photos kitchen has double fridge and large bench with stools, not the kitchen we got! The Docklands is like a ghost town everything was shut, had to get taxi everywhere. very disappointing

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank cpcastle

Thank you for choosing to stay at Grand Mercure Docklands. I am disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations with regards to the room allocated to you and your party of 5.
Guest reviews enable us to monitor our standards so I appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts on Trip Advisor, as I will now be able to review your comments and suggestions with my team.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Apartment style rooms very good, clean and tidy. Everything you need and well equipped. Parking in the building a problem as people kept parking in our allocated parking space. Area was very quiet around apartments.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for staying at Grand Mercure Docklands. I appreciate you taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, and I'm pleased to hear the apartment allocated to you met your expectations.
We look forward welcoming you back to Docklands Grand Mercure on any future visits you may make to Melbourne.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Had to find a bed at short notice to get me through the day. Grand Mercure Docklands came up trumps, a very helpful lady making sure that I got the first freshly cleaned room that became available. Room was serviceable, view was terrible but that wasn't an issue - might have been if I'd been staying.

Room Tip: If you want a view, demand harbour side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying at Grand Mercure Docklands and thank you for your review and your kind words about one of our team members.

We look forward welcoming you back at Grand Mercure Docklands on any future visit you may make to Melbourne.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I started out in the H1 building on the Docklands Drive side, the noise was to much to take if you are here work work and getting up early.

I am currently in the Boyd building. My apartment is nice. The walls could have used some paint. Some things really needed fixed and updated but I guess since these are individually owned it's up to the owners to take care of them. For $260 a night in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom I kind of expected a little more. I am staying for 6 months and think the least they could have done was painted the walls. My walls have all sorts of marks on them, including some gross colored spatters in the master bathroom. I would not pick this place to stay for 6 months, they are lucky the company picked this place or I would move. I don't think it's worth $260 a night with a 6 month stay.

Room Tip: If you get a choice look at the rooms before you select one. My first one was on Docklands drive, i...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Nick S, Manager at The Sebel Residences Melbourne Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. Guest feedback is very important to us, I am disappointed that your experience is not meeting your expectations. Please come and see myself and I'll be more than happy to show you an apartment that would meet your expectations.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed here mid-December 2012.
The location was great. City circle 100m from the front door.
The apartment was well appointed, modern, great outlook over docklands precinct.
The nightclubs downstairs could not be heard when the balcony doors were closed.
Construction behind the building was noisey early morning, which was VERY annoying.
Check-in, parking & apartment location can be confusing, and wide-spread as you move from one building to another in one-way streets.
If I needed accommodation at docklands, I would return.
If I wanted the gorgeous view with lights reflecting in the water, Bolte Bridge & Westgate Bridge lights as a romantic backdrop, I would return.
Otherwise, I think better & cheaper accommodation can be located elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying at Grand Mercure Docklands and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you liked your well-appointed apartment and the precinct as a whole however my sincere apologies with regards to the noise level.
We look forward welcoming you back to Grand Mercure Melbourne when you are next visiting Melbourne.